XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Sensor removal - how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Rain Sensor removal - how?

I have now swapped my original mirror for an original mirror with compass. This was an easy switch, and the compass and the auto headlight switch works. The switch did not work immediately, so I removed the mirror and cleaned up the inside of the glass window used by the light sensor - now fine.

However, the rain sensor does not work and, although it is not an important facility, I really want the car to be fully functional. I have read elsewhere on this forum that one can replace the sticker which attaches the sensor to the screen, and it may then be ok. As a result of that thread I have bought one, which I expect to receive in a few days - this is item no. LJD3850AA.

So, two questions:

First, can anyone throw any light on why replacing the old sticker with a new one should work, because I can't see how a sticker could affect the performance of the rain sensor itself. Or am I just going in the wrong direction? The connector to the sensor is firm and I don't think there is anything amiss electrically.

Second, any comments about safely detaching the sensor from the screen; it does seem rather firmly fixed, and there is potential for some rather expensive broken glass if I get it wrong.

Thanks!