XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle behind centre console switch panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 09:56 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rattle behind centre console switch panel

Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle from behind the centre console switch panel? Our roads are shocking at the moment, and when hitting a significant pothole or raised tarmac, I get a sharp rattle which seems to emanate from behind the panel. My initial thoughts are that there may be a loose flap or component in the air distribution box, but before I go diving in, there may be someone who has had a similar issue and has resolved it. And yes, I have checked all the usual places for loose coins, in case anyone asks.
Phil

Old 02-07-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

The hard part will be getting behind the console to check it out if it snot an 'underhood' problem.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:11 AM
Received 165 Likes on 123 Posts

I think the biggest problem will be putting everything back and not adding more rattles.

The following users liked this post:
zray (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjags
Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle from behind the centre console switch panel? Our roads are shocking at the moment, and when hitting a significant pothole or raised tarmac, I get a sharp rattle which seems to emanate from behind the panel. My initial thoughts are that there may be a loose flap or component in the air distribution box, but before I go diving in, there may be someone who has had a similar issue and has resolved it. And yes, I have checked all the usual places for loose coins, in case anyone asks.
Phil

I got in there a while ago for the same rattle, lol, or another one....?

Anyways, if I remember right there is a tray-ish kind of thing that is kind of a clip on to direct H20 that condensates in the HVAC system in the area under the bulk climate control unit. A catch all, kind of. The back end of the tray didn't want to move around much but the front side had seemed to come partly unclipped and rattled around over bumps and such. Annoying, yes. A bit of a pain to get at but you can and prolly will after the noise drives ya sufficiently crazy, lol.

Redjags (02-07-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
There is. Or at least is in my 2002...

I got in there a while ago for the same rattle, lol, or another one....?

Anyways, if I remember right there is a tray-ish kind of thing that is kind of a clip on to direct H20 that condensates in the HVAC system in the area under the bulk climate control unit. A catch all, kind of. The back end of the tray didn't want to move around much but the front side had seemed to come partly unclipped and rattled around over bumps and such. Annoying, yes. A bit of a pain to get at but you can and prolly will after the noise drives ya sufficiently crazy, lol.
2003 XK8
similar annoying rattle, began about 6 months ago (no. no coins. Replaced missing bolt in engine compartment. Tightened everything I could. How can I locate: “a clip on to direct H20 that condensates in the HVAC system in the area under the bulk climate control unit.”? Thank you

Old 06-10-2022, 04:45 PM

I have now resolved this issue. It turned out to be emanating from worn shock absorber mounts. The centre rod of the shock was off centre and almost touching the tower on the left hand side. The knocking was transmitted through the bracing to the firewall and sounded like it was in the cabin side of the firewall.
I've changed both shock mounts and all bushes and ball joints and the knocking has gone. Now I can hear all the other creaks unfortunately, but compared to the original noises, it's bliss.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Belleami
2003 XK8
similar annoying rattle, began about 6 months ago (no. no coins. Replaced missing bolt in engine compartment. Tightened everything I could. How can I locate: “a clip on to direct H20 that condensates in the HVAC system in the area under the bulk climate control unit.”? Thank you
Yes. Remove the center console... There is an easy to find video on that that is to one (a few) of the great forum members and enthusiast...

Remove the 6 screws (and be gentle) that hold the stereo, HVAC button set and other controls in the dash, unplug ALL of it and set it aside. Look and feel around in there. There is what I can only describe as a tray, or a pan, that I guessed caught and directed condensation from the AC condenser/evaporator (I can never remember which is which) through two hoses that run out the back. Mine had come loose. I put two very small dabs of epoxy and a strip of duct tape or something AND it's original fasteners to hold it back together.... Maaaaan, it was so long ago I don't remember exactly what I did,,, but it cures that rattle. Well, just made it so I could hear the other ones better 😀

Take some photos, I didn't, it's a common problem a lot of folks end up having...

Old 06-11-2022, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had previously read about the potential of it being shock absorbers so, when I replaced the tyres, 6 months ago, I asked them to check. They said they were “ok”. I do notice there’s rust on the top end, in the engine compartment not being a mechanic and having heard “she’ll be right” or “it will buff right out”, I’m a tad sceptical…but don’t know how to check myself…the rattle is driving me around the twist! Thanks for listening!

Old 06-11-2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Belleami
I had previously read about the potential of it being shock absorbers so, when I replaced the tyres, 6 months ago, I asked them to check. They said they were “ok”. I do notice there’s rust on the top end, in the engine compartment not being a mechanic and having heard “she’ll be right” or “it will buff right out”, I’m a tad sceptical…but don’t know how to check myself…the rattle is driving me around the twist! Thanks for listening!
Just pop the plastic caps off the centre of the shock towers. If the nut in the middle is off centre and there is yellow or orange crumbling foam evident, then your shock absorbers mounts need replacing On one of my shock absorbers, the nut was actually contacting the bodywork.

Brett_in_PA (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjags
Just pop the plastic caps off the centre of the shock towers. If the nut in the middle is off centre and there is yellow or orange crumbling foam evident, then your shock absorbers mounts need replacing On one of my shock absorbers, the nut was actually contacting the bodywork.
I have this same problem. Your post was actually a relief...I'd rather deal with shock mounts than try to tear apart the center dash area.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brett_in_PA
I have this same problem. Your post was actually a relief...I'd rather deal with shock mounts than try to tear apart the center dash area.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh,,, be careful what ya wish for... But I hear ya!