Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Audio Issues

Hi All,

After reading as much as I could find using the search feature regarding the rear speakers on my 2000 XK8, I'm left confused, and still having an unresolved audio issue.

I recently purchased this car. Before signing on the dotted line, I checked it over well enough to determine that the rear speakers were not working.

When I turn the fade control to full rear, I get essentially no sound from the rear two speakers. If I turn the "Sub" output to max & the "Bass" setting to 3 or 4, I begin to hear some bass from the rears, but it is extremely poor sound quality.

I have the Alpine audio system. My reading has left me confused as to whether or not the rears are speakers or subwoofers, and whether they are 2 ohm or 4 ohm.

In an initial attempt to diagnose if the speakers were blown, I took one out and connected it to a home stereo system. It played music and sounded pretty good.

A previous owner had removed the rear speaker covers (they are hanging loosely) before I bought the car, so I don't even know for sure of I have OEM speakers back there, or if they were replaced. If they are replacements, I don't know how to tell if they were replaced with a "correct" replacement.

Even if they are only subwoofers, I'm certain that what I am currently hearing is not proper sound.

Not being an audio guy, I really lack much knowledge in sorting out these questions & issues. I'm hoping that you guys can provide some guidance.

My initial questions would be:

1) Do I have rear speakers or rear subwoofers?
2) How do I identify if they are the OEM speakers?
3) Even though one played well in my house, could they still be blown, accounting for the poor sound quality?
4) Could they be improper replacement speakers, causing the poor sound quality?
5) Could the problem be something entirely different, like a blown amp or other piece of audio hardware?

Thanks in advance for your help, direction & insights!

Tom

Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

No you do not have rear speakers, only in the coupe.

The following users liked this post:
TPBachur (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Rich is correct, the Coupe has rear speakers, the Convertible has the rear Sub woofers. Your rear subs may have been replaced with mid-to-high range speakers and may have a built-in cross-over which blocks all the low frequency sounds. Not a good thing when the only signal provided IS the low frequency. Fader should be on full front, sub output on whatever level you wish.... when working correctly that is.

The following users liked this post:
TPBachur (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies.

Any thoughts on how to identify if mine are OEM rear subwoofers? If I do have OEM rears, is there a way to determine if they are bad, or if there is some other problem causing the rearsound issues? I don't mind replacing bad parts, I'd just like to be sure the parts I am replacing are bad first!

Thanks,

Tom

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

If you push lightly on the cone, in and out, there should be zero noise or vibration. If there is a scrape-type noise and a vibration, they are no good. This doesn't tell if they are definitely GOOD, but it can tell if they are definitely BAD or not.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Set your bass to max and play something with heavy bass, if you don't hear any bass then take the rear speaker covers off and begin your investigation.

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi TPBachur, my 2 cents:

1) Do I have rear speakers or rear subwoofers?
Should be sub only

2) How do I identify if they are the OEM speakers?
you could check with pictures of sub for sale on ebay, to compare with yours.
Sub and full range versions look almost the same, I can just say that the sub have a bigger motor. But it's only easy to spot if you have both in hands.
Check with your door speakers?

3) Even though one played well in my house, could they still be blown, accounting for the poor sound quality?
Don't think so. But the crossover of the alpine amp (harmann?) will change the result.

4) Could they be improper replacement speakers, causing the poor sound quality?
See 2) but even if originals, they're not very good.
Mine were 4ohms, full range were 2ohms.
Makes sense since two subs plugged in // will give 2ohms load on the amp.

5) Could the problem be something entirely different, like a blown amp or other piece of audio hardware?
Blown amp would give no sound I think.
their frequency range might be pretty tight, they're really only here to give a little more impact.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi
I have a XKR 2001. My rear speakers are in good condition and they are Bass only.
When you say poor quality sound are you referring to the whole system or just the rear?