XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear seat delete mockup finished ...

Now I need to source matching vinyl and find a supplier for the luggage strips (I made everything from painted cardboard). Underlay foam and plywood are available locally of course.

Attached Thumbnails Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-img_9304resize.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-img_9307resize.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-img_9305resize.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by krswen:
JimC64 (08-16-2014), oyster (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Looks like you are well on your way design-wise. Looks very nice and has to be more practical.

Have you considered some straps or hooks to fasten things down?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Ken - looks good - I posted in another thread a vendor in the UK that custom makes the luggage strips - will see if I can find and forward.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, that looks good, but, what is it that you need to haul around in the back seat area that requires the little bit more room that you get from this, over the regular seat?

You are going to need to find something to hold down that flap that normally tucks in behind the seat. The way that you have it there will probably lead to it flying up at speed and maybe even pulling the whole cover off. It shouldn't be a problem to fit some Velcro or something to secure it.

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (08-17-2014)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Very very cool.

Some one else did the same thing, except he attached a sort of speedster cover that folds up to follow with the convertible top on an 07.

Love the modification.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I like it! What about carpet instead of leather? Less concern of scratching, etc. Might contact the peeps on eBay we've been using for floor mats. Send them templates, maybe even have a leaper embroidered into the back panel. Cut come 1/4" plywood or Masonite to attach carpet and a couple snaps for the boot.

I think most of us would be more likely to toss things back there if we weren't so concerned about scratching up the seat leather - picnic baskets, golf clubs, etc. One might make up such a package and market it... Once I find the time I'll be going down this path.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM

I thought about straps ... most of the older Ferraris have them. Often in matching color. I haven't decided on that yet.

I read your post on the U.K. connection for luggage strips. Thanks for the input. They are polished metal which looks pretty cool, although I like the idea of rubber-faced strips as well for more of a non-slip function.

The final version is not going to have the flap in that position. I will have a four inch finisher on the top of the backwall, so the flap will tuck like it's supposed to. I just hadn't mocked that feature up this morning when I took pics, so I laid the flap in position to cover the gap.

I considered carpet .... laid the floor mats back there to get a feeling for what it would look like and it seems too dark for my taste. I'll probably never haul anything more extensive than my gym bag, so I'm not concerned about scratching the vinyl. I just think the rear seat looks silly, so decided on the delete.

Last edited by krswen; 10-13-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding luggage strips ... my name for those rubber (or vinyl) and metal strips that I mocked up on the horizontal shelf part of the delete arrangement.

I like the metal strips from the U.K., but they are too long. I've tried googling half-round metal extrusions. but so far haven't found anyplace that sells at the consumer level.

Any ideas from you folks? Do you know of other cars that might have 12" strips as part of their interior? I can buy strips in 4 or 5 foot lengths, but they are meant to go on top of a minivan and are self-adhesive. I was thinking something that I would fasten with screws through the vinyl into the plywood underneath.

Another alternative would be wooden strips stained to match the dash. That actually might be kind of cool. And maybe stain the cap-rail at the top of the vertical back piece. What do you think?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Here are a couple of versions I have used over the years. I used carpet on the bottom as it was easier to work with.

Attached Thumbnails Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-004-2.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-008-4.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-145-1.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-100_0490-1.jpg   Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-100_1067.jpg  

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-100_0491-1.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by krswen
Now I need to source matching vinyl and find a supplier for the luggage strips (I made everything from painted cardboard). Underlay foam and plywood are available locally of course.
Looks good but is there any way to possible pad it a bit or add some stitching? To the back? Something to follow through to the front details?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding luggage strips ... my name for those rubber (or vinyl) and metal strips that I mocked up on the horizontal shelf part of the delete arrangement.

I like the metal strips from the U.K., but they are too long. I've tried googling half-round metal extrusions. but so far haven't found anyplace that sells at the consumer level.
Home Depot sells both aluminum and stainless steel rod and half-rod in 3' and 6' lengths, just not at all locations. Graingers is another source for metal rods in all sizes. If half-rounds are hard to find, you could attach with u-straps.

You could fasten a metal strip to the flat of the horizontal "seat" and adhere the rubber strips to that.

I have seen these parcel shelfs with a raised bar standing at the front edge (think low towel bar) to keep things from sliding off. Netting could be attached to that as well.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Yeah, I agree, the back looks a bit plain without some feature like stitching to break up the expanse of vinyl. It was going to be padded anyway, so adding stitching shouldn't be hard. Well, not hard for someone with a suitable sewing machine and upholstery experience.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

....Another alternative would be wooden strips stained to match the dash..... What do you think?
BINGO!!! The wood is one of the main features that makes our cars so distinctive...

Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-image.jpg
Finished mine. Since pic I added bottom rub strips too. Best thing I ever did!!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

All of those mods look awesome.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to build sailboats in Stuart - we bought rubber / metal extrusions from Taco Metals in Miami - would be perfect strips. Don't think they sell retail, but other Marine stores carry their stuff.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-image.jpg
Of course I took it a bit further. Since I was in a JCNA concours show, I decided to go over the top!! Made custom umbrellas from British Autowoods shifter knobs, had to replace speaker covers so had a bit of fun, they don't really show when seats are back, and made a custom storage trunk for my show cleaning supplies.
On another note, my mechanic had a XKE convertible and I liked how my rear set delete looked so similar to to the E type back area!

reb1999 (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks Great!. would save me the trouble of explaining the reason for a rear seat here in the US due to import duties... Rich

Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reb1999
Looks Great!. would save me the trouble of explaining the reason for a rear seat here in the US due to import duties... Rich
I know. I'm in NC and I always had the question of who can fit back there. With the stupid seats, I always worried I would rip or damage them. Now it's a proper stow area just like the XKE had.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another Rear Seat Delete

I also took out the rear seats so I could carry another set of golf clubs. The R logo panel gives me access to the rear fuse box.

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-jag-xkr-rear-seat-mod.jpg

Rear seat delete mockup finished ...-jag-xkr-rear-seat-logo-view.jpg

pwpacp (03-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete mockup finished ...