XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker Replacement on my 98 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear Speaker Replacement on my 98 Convertible

My rear speakers sounded like they were underwater, so I shutoff the rears completely. Decided it was time to upgrade the sound system as my first restore.
With the help of this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-40578/
I was able to R&R the rear subs. I will add a little to better understand what I found and hope it helps someone in the future. No pictures as there are a ton already out here.
I removed the left side seat belt bolt, then the capping, then removed the bottom portion of the seat. I did NOT remove the side panel or upper portion of the seat
Looking at the speaker cover I found it was held in by tabs, so as in the above post gently worked the cover out.
I bought some pretty cheap Audiopipe 6.5 thin woofers(They had great reviews on Amazon and Sonic.) I am a bit snobbish about my sound systems, but being a convertible I thought I would roll the dice on these. They were a perfect fit.
Now for the speaker cover. The tabs were difficult at best to get back into the slots. I found if I started gently pushing in the cover at the bottom, and pulling the bottom of the side cover out gave the tabs enough space to slide in and using my fingers could push the tab flat to make it tight. The upper tabs were easily accessible and were bent to be very tight.
You want these tabs to be tight so the speaker cover doesn't rattle
Right side was the same.

Leary of the quality of $29 speakers, I was shocked at the improvement. I have the Harmon Kardon system and with the bass at +2, the treble at +3, balance equal and fader set to front +2, there really is a nice concert hall sound.
I have a rattle from the entire right rear panel, if the bass is above +2 and I crank up the volume, but the sound is vastly improved without hving to tear up the back of the car..

The following 3 users liked this post by Grzldvt:
Johnken (04-29-2017), Orthodixie (04-30-2017), Redline (05-14-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I am shocked, took a road trip and the rear Audiopipe speakers are very, very good.
Like I said I am a bit snobbish about my sound systems and these are incredible. I can crank the system up to ear bleed volume(read that as people come running and screaming out of their homes because they think the live band is going by with zero distortion, very nice bass, that compliments the Harmon Kardon system.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-07-2017)