XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear view mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rear view mirror problem

I have read all of the threads , I think, but no one really addresses the removal of the fluid and what if any, consequenses might take place. I really do not want or need the monochromatic mirror. I am concerned about the fluid loss and its damage to the car. How do I drain the mirror? Why have fluid in there in the first place? Will draining it cause any other problems?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Darn good question. I would like to know about that too.

EZDriver

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone considered this option?

Onstar Aftermarket Mirror with Backup Battery you too can benefit from a GPS-enabled automatic crash response feature that connects the vehicle to a trained emergency advisor in the event of an accident, for example. Other features include turn-by-turn navigation, hands-free calling, help locating a stolen vehicle, roadside assistance and various emergency services.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

That would be nifty. I've had Onstar in a couple of cars and it was pretty cool. I think some of our cars, however, have the light sensor on the back side of the mirror, so your automatic headlights might not work if you installed the Onstar mirror. Mine is a 2003 which has the light sensor in the windshield, but I think earlier years had it in the mirror.

Also, I notice that the mirror in the pic is one of those that has to be manually flipped from day to night. I actually prefer those EXCEPT in convertibles. I had one in a Z3 and with the top down I was always looking at the reflections of street lights, twilight, and traffic signals in my mirror. It was rather irritating. The self dimming mirrors are definitely the way to go in a convertible.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Reverend

Aren't you being Picky,,, LOL...

Navigation System | Auto Security | Emergency Services | OnStar FMV

This looks like it Maybe...

Where in NC are you Eastern or Western part of the state,,, Have a place in Linville,,, GrandFather Mountain...

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the comments and the alternate on-star system.

BUT, my question still remains......why the liquid design in a $75,000 auto?? How can i drain it and move on with the stock mirror ? All other functions remain useful ;just the poorly designed fluid that needs to be dispelled.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Why liquid? That is how they were done in all of the luxury autos at the time. It wasn't known that the liquid would eat its way through and damage things. When this was discovered, there was a recall that replaced it with a gel solution. Now that the recall is over, many have elected to still go this route (and for $100 from Sybesma, I find it to be the best solution)

You could try to open up your mirror and remove the fluid, but I don't know anyone who has done it, so you are on your own. The mirror will function just fine as a normal mirror without the fluid behind it, but getting it all removed may be a bit of a challenge. Post your results if you go this route. One thing I will caution you though, if you do decide to do this and the results are not what you hoped, your mirror will no longer be eligible for retrofitting gel by Sybesma without having to pay the additional core charge bringing the price probably near or over $400.

If your mirror hasn't shown warning signs of failure (discoloration or blurring in spots) then I wouldn't worry about it until you do. No sense destroying a mirror that hasn't started to fail and if it hasn't started to fail, the mirror may have been previously fixed. I would really hate to hear you open up the mirror and discover the fluid had already been replaced by gel.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You can have the mirror repaired for about $100.00. Is this not an option for you?

Originally Posted by doc18015
I have read all of the threads , I think, but no one really addresses the removal of the fluid and what if any, consequenses might take place. I really do not want or need the monochromatic mirror. I am concerned about the fluid loss and its damage to the car. How do I drain the mirror? Why have fluid in there in the first place? Will draining it cause any other problems?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
The following users liked this post:
burza (11-26-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

If you're hell-bent to proceed, you can drain it. The liquid is trapped between a clear glass and the mirror, sealed with a gasket and assembled with a retaining band around the periphery. Open the mirror case, pry off the retaining band and carefully split the glass from the mirror without cutting yourself and spilling the possibly toxic liquid into your newly opened gash. Another alternative would be to tape a sandwich bag over the mirror in order to catch the fluid f it should ever happen to actually leak...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM

I have read that thread and will pursue Gentex for further info. These mirrors are used on many Chevys, Vettes, Lincolns, Acura, Lexus, etc. and should be able to be repaired locally by glass shops. They can and do get "Smart Glass" as replacements for outside and inside mirrors. I was trying to understand the principles of gel vs. liquid; now understood. The glass cannot be drained properly to use as normal mirror;the liquid is compressed between two pieces of glass and making the glass very difficult to separate and clean. I have also found that other substitute glass can be used that incorporates film or gel or crystals laminated on the glass.
Just a poor design made by Donnelly that all must live with at this point that have missed the recall or free replacement.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Actually, about four years ago the mirror in my Lincoln let go. I opened it up, removed the retaining band, pried the glass away, cleaned it and the mirror and reassembled. The car has tinted windows and I don't miss the dimming at all - in the Lincoln. As for the Jag', it sits a lot closer to the ground, meaning headlights from behind are torturous especially with the top down. Yes, the rear window is tinted but that isn't enough when the mirror shares the same plane as those headlights behind you - at least not IMHO.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Mirror Repair

Hello all. My auto dimming mirror also failed and I just got it back today, Jan 6, from Radar-Mirror.com They are located in Frisco, TX and did a nice and quick job for $89 plus $15 shipping.

On a side note, I actually was considering the On-star mirror but in the end, I wanted to keep the auto dimming feature and I didn't see myself signing up for another monthly service that I haven't needed before.

The following users liked this post:
Growl-R (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

It bacame obvious Jaguars are piece of junk. Leaking mirror I found today on my piece of junk proves it.
Thank you for the link to get this problem repaired.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by burza
It bacame obvious Jaguars are piece of junk.

Then sell it. Life is too short to own a car you believe to be a "piece of junk." I love my coupe, and working through its problems and quirks- with the help of all the great guys on this forum - makes me happy.

By the way, this same leaking mirror was installed in high-end BMWs, Acuras and many other luxury cars. They all began leaking.

The following 4 users liked this post by The Coupe:
Brutal (03-20-2017), Carmichaels (05-08-2020), sstilley (01-15-2013), xjrguy (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem you're describing and it was driving me crazy. It also seemed that the fluid level was dropping lower in the mirror making it more and more difficult to see out the back of my convertible. I wasn't able to figure out a good way to drain the fluid and the outrageous cost of these mirrors was a big deterent to replacing it. Even a used one was more than $400 from Jaguar Heaven.
I found a guy on eBay that sells new ones for $148. I ordered one and it came with all of the parts needed to install it plus easy to read instructions.
The new mirror works great and was worth the investment.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM

I became totally frustrated with Jaguars:
1. Replaced chain tensioners when I purchased it at 38,000 miles
2. Paid through the nose for oil changes (Mobil oil 1)
3. Replaced thermostat housing with Aluminum one.
4. Had blower problem, and had to remove piece of foam from blower cage.
5. Replaced headliner which separated from the roof.
For an automobile which cost some $68,000.00 + in 1998 one would expect better quality of service. This vehicle was always garaged and maintained properly.
In the last 6 weeks it became a money pit.
I would have more fun paying for spoiled women services then paying to keep this car in shape.
Yes, it is for sale to the next sucker who wants it:
1998 VDP, 54,000 original miles, all maintenance records from day one.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,298 Likes on 2,823 Posts

Good luck with the sale. Sounds like the best approach for you. Keep in mind that if you cannot DIY most of the maintenance and repairs, Jaguars can indeed be very costly to own. But I think that goes for all European luxury/GT cars as well....

Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You must be passionate about whatever car you own. If it is just transportation you want then get a used whatever but if you purchase a luxury car then plan to deal with whatever takes place. Yes it may seem to be a problem now but if you sell it the next person will be getting a great car. If you are fanatically drained with this car then sell it. I am sorry that you feel that way most people purchase them because of a passion apparently yours has been lost.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Passion lasts only as far as the money pit takes one.
Yes it is a good car to travel the roads, but because it is a Jaguar I do not see the need to be charged through the nose for repairs (parts and labor) Most technicians that work on these cars are lucky to be paid $25.00/hr. That leaves garage owner at least $50.00/hr for doing nothing. It is ridiculous to charge $400.00+ for a "Jaguar" rear view mirror. Rear view mirrors are not made for a specific automobile, only electrical connectors are. I ordered one for $92.00 from JCWhitney and I will splice connector to the new mirror. Of course dripping fluid ruined the plastic piece around shifter which will cost me an arm and a leg to replace. Yes, I am getting drained emotionally with this vehicle..... what will I need to replace next?
I am done with Jaguars. There is truly no difference between a Chevy or Jaguar mechanicaly. Motor is a motor, transmission is a transmission they all work the same.
The aura of "luxury" vehicle sucks.

Quick Reply: rear view mirror problem