Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel ABS DIsk - Jaguar instructions misleading

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Rear Wheel ABS DIsk - Jaguar instructions misleading

I'm in the home stretch of wrapping up the rear bearing replacement. Ran into a real frustrating situation. Wanted to to a santity check/ validation with anyone who knows, and wanted to post this so that noone else down the road gets stuck on it.

Last steps to reassemble the hub: press on inner bearing sleave; Press on inner bearing, Press on bearing seal.
These are straightforward.

Next step according to Jaguar manual: Press ABS Disk onto hub to fully seat it. It actually says to press it on. Well I did. When told to press something on I expect it to make a firm connection. Not so here. I spent way too long trying to figure this out, wondering if the disk had worn out or what. It does rotate with the wheel, but you could stop it with your finger.

After wondering about this for way too long I remembered the splined axle goes through this into the hub. It is attached with 375 foot pounds! Then I thought of the countless instructions on this forum from Phillip (chillyphilly), Bob (Motorcarman), and others who say don't be surprised if the disk falls into your hands when you first remove the hub.

I'm hoping that this will work as designed with the pressure from the hub nut and that all my worrying was pointless. Of course I will confirm once I get her back together. Don't let that "hydralic press it on" instruction fool you.

Confirmation to come.

John

Old 11-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad you hear you are on the home stretch!

Just a note on the final torque for the hub nut, to my understanding it should be 224-247 lb ft of torque.

It would seem the ABS wheel would do better to have a press fit, but once the hub nut is torqued on, there is little in the way of the ABS wheel not following rotation of the splined axle, as the ABS wheel is sandwiched in fairly tight. The purpose of the ABS wheel is only to allow the ABS sensor to "read" rotation of that particular wheel, so any chance of it stopping or slowing should be nil. Ofcourse I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

The following 2 users liked this post by chillyphilly:
Johnken (11-11-2017), motorcarman (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Phillip, I appreciate all your help!

John

Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The ABS reluctor wheel is a 'trapped' between the inner bearing and the axle shoulder so it is more like a spacer as chillyphilly said. It cannot rotate independent of the axle unless the nut becomes loose. It also rides the inner bearing grease seal lip.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 11-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Bob you always have the answers /words of wisdom. Thanks mate.

John