Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear window adjustment

Hello,

Has anyone ever adjusted the back windows on a 2001 XK8?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Or any xk8 for that matter?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

That's something I'll be doing sometime in the future. Not sure when, exactly. My rear windows seem to have a little bit of play in them, as if the cable that raises and lowers them has a wee bit of slack in it. When I raise the rear windows there is a little gap between the front window and the back window. If I grab the window and pull it up and forward the gap is sealed, but if I don't pull it up and forward I have to listen to the wind noise.

Is that what's happening with yours?

The following users liked this post:
jwxray (08-22-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I tried to adjust mine up a bit reverend last fall, to get that 'slack' you speak of out of mine also. Using only the adjustment screw, I could not get any more travel from my window, it was as far as it could possibly go. NOW, having said that, I suppose you could remove and/or shorten up the wire pulley system that is used, and back off the adjusting bolt, then retighten accordingly. I wasn't that motivated at the time, and more worried about breaking something really expensive.

jwxray (08-22-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

JTIS has alignment info under "Rear Quarter Window Regulator Motor Vehicles With: Convertible Top". I replaced my left rear regulator a few months ago and the alignment process was just a lot of nut loosing, window moving, etc. Took about 45 minutes of trial and error to get it correct AFTER you had access to the regulator which means removing the rear seat, side panel and speaker box, etc. Can be done, but you looking at an afternoon's work.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Yes Sam that is exactly what mine is doing. I've been told it's alot of work to get to the rear window adjustment screws. A tech tolde that may be a sign of the regulator going bad. But if you have to align the windows after you put the regulator on perhaps it's just an adjustment.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I think its just cable fatigue, not regulator related.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, as i was taking top down i heard a noise that just was not right. so i started to put top back up and noticed the driver side 1/4 window was the problem. it did NOT go back up. was able to look inside and see the cable was loose, or off? with some help from the kids "running the toggle" i was able to get the window up manually. does this sound like a regulator issue or adjustment?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, 2005 XK8 convertible , 55k miles

Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what mine did. New regulator required for me, at $900 installed, ymmv.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Rev

I have the same problem on my 2003 XKR, but only on the driver side. Did you ever come up with a fix. I am thinking that maybe the rear window assembly bolts may be loose causing the whole assembly to shift a little. I had this problem on my 2001 XK8 front window. I have one other question regarding the dash panel that is under the steering wheel. it seems loose at the top. I want to remove it to see why it is loose on the top. Any suggestions on how these are attached? I used your video on the head rest cable fix and just finished doing it on my XKR. It went really well. I also fixed a airbag 22 code problem on the same seat.

wcnesta

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Hi Rev

I found your video on replacing the bulbs in your instrument cluster and saw how you take this panel off. Thanks for all your videos.

wcnesta

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by wcnesta

I have one other question regarding the dash panel that is under the steering wheel. it seems loose at the top. I want to remove it to see why it is loose on the top. Any suggestions on how these are attached?
wcnesta
Remove the 2 screws at the very bottom of the panel. Then pull the entire panel toward the driver's seat. There are two slide-in clips at the top and a rail at the bottom that needs to engage to re-install. It is possible to install it with the bottom rail not engaged and that would make for a loose assembly. It also could be that the upper clips are just a bit 'tired'.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Window Noise - Fix?

Hi all,
So sorry to hear that Reverend Sam had to sell his Jag. His videos are what led me to the forum and certainly were helpful in making a few repairs to my Jag's front end. Did anyone have a good response to his (Sam's) post in this thread? I too have to pull the windows forward for them to seal and would much rather have them aligned properly if it is possible? Anyone successfully repaired this?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timothy
Hi all,
So sorry to hear that Reverend Sam had to sell his Jag. His videos are what led me to the forum and certainly were helpful in making a few repairs to my Jag's front end. Did anyone have a good response to his (Sam's) post in this thread? I too have to pull the windows forward for them to seal and would much rather have them aligned properly if it is possible? Anyone successfully repaired this?
Usually you can solve the problem by adjusting the front window. Sometimes it is the result of an ajustment bolt that has slipped in its slot and there is clear evidence of where it should be when the door trim is removed. This thread should be helpful: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-issue-71415/

Sam also made a video with some (but not all) of the adjustments:
Jaguar XK8 Window Adjustment - YouTube

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
ahspros (07-07-2012), Timothy (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Default Rear Window

Thank you. I will give that a shot but my front windows do not "appear" to be out of alignment. There is almost a 1/4" gap (particularly on the passeger side) and the rear window does move a fair bit. I will give it a go and report back on success with some pictures. Cheers.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timothy
Thank you. I will give that a shot but my front windows do not "appear" to be out of alignment. There is almost a 1/4" gap (particularly on the passeger side) and the rear window does move a fair bit. I will give it a go and report back on success with some pictures. Cheers.
The rubber on the rear window slides against the front window. Too much friction from misalignment of the front windows can cause it to stick. It is a bit counter-intuitive that it could be the front window misaligned, and it of course could be a rear window problem, but I have seen a front window adjustment solve this.

Timothy (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

If you do find you need it, and it is not a front misalignment, the rear quarter window adjustments are in the attached document.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rearqu.pdf (829.0 KB, 535 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jagman77 (04-27-2013), Timothy (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

I had the same problem with my 03 XKR. My Jag was covered under warranty at the time so I had it fixed at my Jag dealer. They said the bushings were bad, that hold the window to the regulator, and replaced the whole assembly. I asked them to save the assembly so I could check it out but they said they had discarded it.

One of our members had a bad assembly and I asked if he would send it to me to see if I could repair it. The cable had come off the drive pulley and jammed. The assembly could be repaired but Jaguar does not stock any parts for it. The complete assembly from Jaguar are around $350.00, but it takes about 5+ hours to install @$145.00 per hour. This labor time includes taking the old one out and installing the new one by a tech that knows what he is doing. There is a thread that explains how to do it, but a video would be nice.

I noticed on the defective one I have, that there is an adjustment that stops the upward travel of the window. If the cable stretches or the bushings have play, you may be able to move the stop up a little so the window could come up a little more. You would still have to take the back seat and side cover off, but the up stop adjustment is at the top of the regulator. Has anyone tried to fix their problem this way?

wcnesta
03 XKR
01 XK8

Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks WhiteXKR and wcnesta. I will try the path of least resistance with the front window re-alignment and, once I have royally screwed that up, I may decide to dive into the back seat to at least examine the potential problem. I wish it weren't an issue because I could always drive with the top down but that would make for a pretty short driving season where I live. The heated seats aren't that good

Quick Reply: Rear window adjustment