XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt ABS module advise

Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilt ABS module advise

New to this forum and need some direction. I'm on my second rebuilt ABS module. I reinstalled and get all the lights and codes after a few miles of driving. I went through and cleaned all the wheel sensors and ohmed out all the wiring to the module. Checks out good.

I called the tech at BBA (who rebuilt the module) and his advise is to drive the car for at least two more weeks. His theory is that it takes a while for the codes to get reset in the module.

Has anyone ever seen codes gradually disappear? Should I just send the module back? If there's a problem, then BBA pays shipping, if not then I buy it.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Immediate improvement

I think your tech is wrong. When I installed my rebuilt (from Module Masters) everything cleared up immediately. I don't believe that codes linger around...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM

I didn't think so either, but he says that hiway driving is the best thing for clearing up the problem. I figure I'll give it another week and send it back. BBA does give a lifetime warranty. Worse case is I pay for shipping, get the module rechecked and then focus on some other part of the system.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

What DTCs are logged in the module?????
If you are having wheel speed or other faults and sending the module for C1095 Pump Motor fault repair then you are wasting your time.

bob gauff

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM

It consistently sets P1637 ABS control module failure. Every once in a while I also get C1137 ABS malfunction. Also get all the "regular" lights, (abs, traction control failure, etc).

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I too am plagued with the P1637 code, and have a new ABS module to install (when I can get motivated.) It can be many things, and diagnosis can be long and drawn out. Here is Brutal's comments on that code:
p1637 CAN/BUS failure in ABS. If all the modules have an issue with the network communication but one module doesn’t, who do you think has the problem? The module who doesn’t see a problem because it IS the problem.

The CAN network is the communication network between all the modules.
If it goes down with open, cross short, short to power ground etc.—you’re going to have an issue.

Many modules need to get info from the ABS module:
Transmission for shifting, and road speed.
ECU for fueling and spark, adaptive dampening etc.....
The ABS module sends out the car’s road speed from the wheel speed sensors.

Many modules need that info. Since you now say the I pack says transmission fault--that is the issue pertaining to the p1643. The problem is there have got to be more codes you’re not able to pull because you can only see P codes.

Most of the ABS module codes are C codes for chassis. At this point in the game you REALLY need all codes in all modules.

Past that, it’s a lot of wasted time guessing.

I would unhook all CAN connections and modules and check and clean all the can network pins.
This should also include a pin drag test to check for loose pins that cause a lot of intermittent problems. This involves using a male pin that is the correct male pin to the female connector pin. You insert and it had better drag when put in and out. I have found loose female pins over the years that cause a lot of issue.

Past that, the unhooking of connections does CLEAN unseen corrosion and many times reestablishes a good connection. (Think of the side marker light out on the fender and you hit the light to shake it and it comes back on since the HIT cleaned and reestablished the connection. )

You’re just against a wall because you don’t have enough info as in codes and communications to diagnose properly and quickly.