Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt XK8 Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rebuilt XK8 Driveshaft

We determined that the slip joint in the drive shaft was causing the vibration in the vehicle, and so we need another drive shaft. The only ones I or the service rep have found are used, no rebuilds, so I was wondering if anyone knew a source for rebuilds for an XK8.

JagBits, Coventry West, and some others all say they only have used ones. The rep at JagBits said requests for XK8 driveshafts were very rare, which might explain the lack of rebuilds.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I think this is a first and would like to know a little more about the shaft. Do you have photos? Does it have a lubrication nipple? Is it another one of those things that Jaguar never suggested needing lubrication like the “U” joints?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I think this is a first and would like to know a little more about the shaft. Do you have photos? Does it have a lubrication nipple? Is it another one of those things that Jaguar never suggested needing lubrication like the “U” joints?
No photos, but all outward appearances are normal, and we could not find a nipple anywhere near the slip joint. I called two Jag service depts and they both said it was a "non-serviceable component".

We put the car up on a lift with me in it and the engine running, and I ran the wheels up to 40 mph which is a common speed for the buzz to occur. I then barely reduced the throttle enough to lose 1-2 mph and the buzz occurred like it always does. Then I inceased the speed back to 40 and the buzz got even louder like it always does. It always buzzes with small throttle movements used to maintain speed up and down slight hills. Then I backed the throttle to maintain speed and the buzz decreased until it went away, as it normally does at a steady speed on level roads.

All this time a service tech was underneath the car listening to the noise, and after about a minute he said to stop the engine and the wheels because he had found the source (which was the slip joint). After I was on the ground I mentioned that the noise had been even louder than it was on the road, and the tech said that was because with no road loading the shaft was even loser than normal.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not buying a new one! They are not too expensive.

You never know what you get second hand and you might end up withhigher cost with buying the same item again.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Why not buying a new one! They are not too expensive.

You never know what you get second hand and you might end up withhigher cost with buying the same item again.
There is a warranty company involved, so we will be at their mercy, to a certian extent.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

jojags does good s/hand tested parts

Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dennisw
jojags does good s/hand tested parts
Well, the warranty company said that they believe us and that the shaft is making undesirable noises, and want my indy shop to remove the driveshaft and take it apart for an autopsy to determine the cause. After we report the findings, they say they will then unconditionally provide me with a new driveshaft from Jaguar including installation, even if the findings are inconclusive.

So, after two months of mystery and two weeks of going back and forth with the warranty company, we have a decision! The car will go into the shop on the 31st, and be there no telling how long lol.

In the meantime I'm driving it as little as possible, because that buzzing is getting louder and more frequent.