XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Fob Programming Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Fob Programming Project

I recently acquired a 2006 XK8 Coupe (off a lease) which unfortunately did not come with any remote fobs. Thinking I might luck out I called the original selling dealer to see if I could track down the original lessee and maybe he might have the remotes. Lucky me, the dealer had a spare pair, and today they came in the mail. Great dealer/salesman.

Prior to all this I had inquired as to the cost of new ones, and, not unexpectedly they're not cheap... And add to this the cost (an hour's labor) to program them at the dealer. Given all this, I did a bit of due dillegence on this trusty forum, and low and behold there was a number of strings advising how to do it myself. Given their complexity I set aside a full Saturday afternoon for the project.

Now, I'm not sure about the rest of you, buy my experience is that if it takes a pro one hour, it usually takes me three. Oh, and there are usually new tools involved, so I plan enough time for at least one trip to the hardware store. This project, I assumed, would be no different.

I get started by carefully examining each of the fobs. Nice balance, good action on the various buttons. Yes, they will do the trick. I then reviewed the instructions on the forum - open the door; open the trunk; pull the flashers; turn the key; pull them four more times; hear the beep; push a button on each remote; done. Okay, that can't be too bad, let's get started.

So I take a nap. One cannot be too rested for a big project - need a good, clear head. I wake up, catch a bit of golf on TV (BOTH a senior and junior event in high def - can it get any better?), then out to the garage.

The initial procedures go well. The door opened as planned, as did the trunk. Then to the hard part - the high beam pull. I reach up carefully, get a good grip and lean back, keeping a good, straight arm. Done. Now this is where I was worried. I knew I'd be able to pull the stalk with a bit of practice, but turn the key with my other hand at the same time? Yes, this I assumed, was why the dealer charged over $100 to get it done. But I try nonetheless and.. done! First time! So I don't wait even a moment and go for the four quick pulls. Was that a beep I heard? Why yes it was! Go for it I say to myself and hit a button on each remote, There are beeps coming from everywhere! I test them quickly and wow, they work! Miller time.

Yes, it was exhausting, but well worth it. Indeed, after a quick showerI sharied with my wife my success programming the fobs for her car (I confess, she took it from me the first day I brought it home), then settled into my recliner to reflect on my accomplishment. What a day.

Perhaps tomorrow I will take on checking those pesky tire pressures. The dealer said he wanted $25/each; I'll show him...

Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Great post!