XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote lock/unlock confirmation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Remote lock/unlock confirmation question

When I use the FOB to lock/unlock my 97 XK8, the headlights flash confirmation. Is the horn supposed to honk confirmation as well?

I've only owned the car a year now and I just assumed that only the lights flashed.

If the horn is supposed to confirm as well, is there a common failure that I can check?

Thanks,
Jay

Old 10-31-2017, 06:25 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

this is determined by a dealer style computer setting. it can be set to passively or actively only arm the alarm, lock doors only, silent arm or audible arm (the disarm is actually a little intrusive), lights flash only (your current setting)

you need the computer that gives access to these settings a simple engine code reader such as the one we use here will not suffice. cannot help you here as my tech lets me play with his system. it is very cool as there are many systems that you can set and diagnostic codes that you can access. his system is made by Auto Logic. if anyone here knows of a cost effective system, i would be curious. the Auto Logic also allows you to install computer updates released by Jaguar.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

The horn isn't supposed to honk, but the security sounder is supposed to chirrup. Security sounder is located in the front wheelarch on the right hand side (sort-of under the headlight unit).

The previous owner may have disconnected it as they are a bit noisy in a quiet street late at night, or, if it is the "intelligent" type, the internal Ni-Cad batteries may have long-since given up and corroded the internal circuitry.

Only way to know which type is to remove it. I think all UK cars have the "intelligent" unit whereas (I think) most US cars have the "passive" type. The main difference is that the "intelligent" type will continue to function even if a thief manages to disconnect the main battery.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

My 2004 flashes lights and "chirps" no horn honk

Old 10-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

HI
FYI my 01 chirps and flashes only
Cheers

Old 10-31-2017, 07:14 PM

yes, the horns are not involved, there is a separate sounder for the alarm. in Europe, the arm and disarm modes are silent by law. some European countries do not even permit the alarm to be audible, just the flashing lights. we can have them in the US. the battery backup will not affect operation, only security if the battery is disconnected.

find someone who can access the dealer settings and you can control how things work.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

WhiteHat. There's no restriction on the "security sounder" making a noise here in the UK, nor any restriction an any other sort of alarm - car or otherwise - unless it is faulty and causing some sort of nuisance..

However - It **is** illegal to use the car horn "When driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am except when another road user poses a danger."

Not sure what the law is in other parts of Europe.

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
WhiteHat. There's no restriction on the "security sounder" making a noise here in the UK, nor any restriction an any other sort of alarm - car or otherwise - unless it is faulty and causing some sort of nuisance..

However - It **is** illegal to use the car horn "When driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am except when another road user poses a danger."

Not sure what the law is in other parts of Europe.
thanks for the info. i remember something to the effect that the laws are not consistent across Europe and the United Kingdom. interestingly, the Driver Handbook describes this difference between various states.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Mine is a "State-side" delivery (I think).

It just flashes...no sound at all. I'm wondering how I'd isolate whether the sounder is defective or if it is disabled? I suppose I could check at the sounder for power when locking, but that wouldn't isolate fuses & wiring etc.

Also, now that this "can of worms" has been opened". what other settings are changeable? I assume the Metric/SAE settings would have to be, but does anyone have a list of the configurable options and their choices?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AC0FC
It just flashes...no sound at all. I'm wondering how I'd isolate whether the sounder is defective or if it is disabled? I suppose I could check at the sounder for power when locking, but that wouldn't isolate fuses & wiring etc.
First thing would be (with steering on full lock) - remove the inspection panel in the wing liner behind the r/h headlight and peer through (with a torch) to check a) that the sounder is there, and b) that the plug is connected.

The pigtail on the plug is long enough to pull it out sufficiently to test for voltage, but whether that's 12v or not I don't know.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Both intelligent and passive sounders look like this :

Remote lock/unlock confirmation question-alarm-sounder-1.jpg

and the plug is the same for both - the wiring is different.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:18 PM
Default Question for '97 XK8 owners current and past

I have been lead to believe that all 97s had only headlight confirmation of lock/unlock and the audible confirmation came on subsequent years.

I would be interested if any other 97 XK8 owners have an audible lock/unlock confirmation.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a very early '98 which chirps and flashes the amber lights. '97s should be the same as 97-98 used the the same manual.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I have an early '97. No audible sound on lock/unlock.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Thanks. So far the score is 3 NOs (My 2 and yours) and 1 should.