XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing Broken Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
Arrow Repairing Broken Seat Switch

the plastic holders behind the seat switch have broken off (drivers side) I hear it's a common flaw because of the frail plastic tabs that hold it in...

If I drill a tiny black screw (1/2" long) on either side of the seat button switch, will it mess up anything behind it? I know there is a wiring harness in the center area...but anything on the left and right sides along the edge?

I don't want to permanently Gorilla Glue it, and velcro won't hold it flush against the seat frame...and in case I need to fix the module in the future, I want it to be easily removable.

looking for a DIY versus buying another one...($$$$)

thank you for any advice.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM

thank you for the link, but can i just drill the seat knob control fixture straight into the seat side to affix without assembling the wire holder? I have never taken the seat out, so don't know what is behind the seat knob holder...if anything

Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Rather than drilling screw holes, installing screws, and hoping for a good bite without disturbing any wiring or circuitry or cracking the plastic casing, I would first try using contact cement to hold that switch assembly in place. Contact cement provides a happy medium in most cases - strong enough to hold a lightweight component such as your switch assembly in place, but pliable enough for you to be able to pry the switch assembly off its seat mounting at a later date if necessary....

If you are not familiar with contact cement, it is a liquid glue that you brush sparingly onto both surfaces, allow to cure for 5 minutes or so, and then press the two surfaces together in order to create the bond. Be sure you have the switch assembly perfectly aligned with its seat mounting before you press it into place. Once the two surfaces come in contact with each other, you cannot adjust the fit....

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am going to do the screw method. By looking at the module, there should be enough room to drill for the screws. I am only going to do 1 screw on the side the broken clip is. I am also going to counter sink the drill hole, so the screw I use will sit flush and might look factory.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Rather than drilling screw holes, installing screws, and hoping for a good bite without disturbing any wiring or circuitry or cracking the plastic casing, I would first try using contact cement to hold that switch assembly in place. Contact cement provides a happy medium in most cases - strong enough to hold a lightweight component such as your switch assembly in place, but pliable enough for you to be able to pry the switch assembly off its seat mounting at a later date if necessary....

If you are not familiar with contact cement, it is a liquid glue that you brush sparingly onto both surfaces, allow to cure for 5 minutes or so, and then press the two surfaces together in order to create the bond. Be sure you have the switch assembly perfectly aligned with its seat mounting before you press it into place. Once the two surfaces come in contact with each other, you cannot adjust the fit....
it has a slight curve, so I dont think the cement would be strong enough.

I ended up getting industrial strength Velcro and putting it on the 4 edges. It is holding tight, you can't see it at all, and is removable. I will screw it in if I find it pops off.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
I am going to do the screw method. By looking at the module, there should be enough room to drill for the screws. I am only going to do 1 screw on the side the broken clip is. I am also going to counter sink the drill hole, so the screw I use will sit flush and might look factory.
I "don't" think there is anything that can be damaged by doing that...and although my velcro is holding, I would eventually prefer the screw... We have been getting some hot summers lately, and I feel the glue would get gummy maybe...please post pics here when you do it.
thank you!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
i put one screw on each end, and its holding tight.
one screw might make the other end loose since it has a curve.

do not over tighten. the plastic will crack.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 PM