XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Front Bushings

Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts
Default Replacing Front Bushings

Last week I ordered most of the bushings for the front suspension. I'm planning on replacing them as soon as they come in. I've never tackled anything like this before, but I'm pretty handy, so I don't think it will be beyond my abilities. I didn't order the ball joints, even though I was tempted. I don't have the tools to press them in, and I wasn't sure if I could find someone locally to do it for me. Besides, I don't even know that they are bad, so I figured I'd just change the bushings to start.

So... to remove the control arms am I going to need a spring compressor? I'm replacing the bushings on the upper and lower control arms and the anti-sway bar. I was going to just buy a cheap spring compressor from Harbor Freight, but Hemitwist's comments in another thread about the trouble he had with spring compressors is giving me second thoughts.

Also, has anyone here ever done their front bushings? Any tips or recommendations?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have done it many times......You wont need spring compressors as you do not need to release the spring and once you have removed the top wishbone you can remove the strut complete with spring in tact. Remember to take note where all the shims come from when you remove the top wishbone.

The lower wishbones are the biggest PITA, the bushes are in there good and tight!

Would be a good time to lower the car if you have not done so already?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I thought about lowering it, but I don't think it would look right on the convertible. A while back there was a picture of a lowered coupe floating around, and it looked incredible, but the more I thought about doing it to the convertible the more I thought it would look too "rice". Also, all of the springs I saw would take it down about 1.5 inches, and that's just too much. I'd like to see it about 3/4 inch lower, but any farther and it would start to look like one of those lowered Honda's with the neon lights and chrome mirrors and stuff.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Sam,

I've done a few of these too. XKRacer calls it as it is. References made to a spring compressor on these front ends are only if you disassemble the strut, which is a bench operation. When you lift the front end of the car and wheels are off the ground, the struts are fully extended, but springs contained on the shock unit. There is no more spring pressure being exerted onto the sub frame.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rev, will you be putting together a video on this process? The other videos you've posted have been extremely valuable for us DIY'ers.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I thought about lowering it, but I don't think it would look right on the convertible. A while back there was a picture of a lowered coupe floating around, and it looked incredible, but the more I thought about doing it to the convertible the more I thought it would look too "rice". Also, all of the springs I saw would take it down about 1.5 inches, and that's just too much. I'd like to see it about 3/4 inch lower, but any farther and it would start to look like one of those lowered Honda's with the neon lights and chrome mirrors and stuff.
1.5 inches.....thats too much, look for Eibach springs they only lower a max of 1" which suits the car perfectly, anymore and it causes rubbing issues particularly if you are running 20" rims.

If you was in the UK I would suggest Adamesh springs which are the same spec as Arden but half the price. The XK always looks like it is up on stilts, sits too high but lowering that small amount does not affect the ride or comfort, but looks a damn site better.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Rev, will you be putting together a video on this process? The other videos you've posted have been extremely valuable for us DIY'ers
Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I'd love a video too. I'm pretty handy like you Sam, but haven't attempted any front end work either (and luckily haven't needed to yet), but pictures and/or video of it would give me the confidence to tackle it when the time comes.

Thanks for all your hard work on the previous videos and how to's too. You've been a great asset here.

Last edited by jnporcello; 11-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked at the ball joints. Would be a good time to do it while you are in there. I had to replace the lower ball joints on mine the same time as the bushings. I tried to take the cheap route and just purchase the ball joints themselves. However, there was too much play. Jaguar only sells the entire wishbone with ball joints as one part so I had to fork over $500 each. Ouch!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I have replaced ball joints with no problem, you do need a fly press to press them out, what you need to do is grind/cut 2 flats along the top edge to get a couple of parralles under then you can press them out easy (I dont think I described that very well). Getting them back in is simple also you dont even need a fly press for that just a large socket or sleeve over the top and tap them in with a mallet.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I'd love a video too. I'm pretty handy like you Sam, but haven't attempted any front end work either (and luckily haven't needed to yet), but pictures and/or video of it would give me the confidence to tackle it when the time comes.

Thanks for all your hard work on the previous videos and how to's too. You've been a great asset here.
X3. I'm planning that project this winter myself.
Mike

Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

I'll make a video of the second wheel, that way I'll learn from my mistakes on the first one and you guys won't realize what an idiot and klutz I am in real life.

The parts shipped from the UK via DHL today, so I should have them by this weekend. I'm taking the Jag to Florida late next week, so I'll be doing it in the next few days.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get down to Ft. Myers give me a shout, and we'll have a cold one at the beach.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Remember to take note where all the shims come from when you remove the top wishbone.
Good Advice. Actually you want to be very careful and count each shin, and note whether it is a thick one or a thin one. These set the caster by their position before or after the subframe mount.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

I'll put the shims back the same way, but I'm going to get an alignment after I replace the bushings. I had an alignment done before I went on the trip out west, but I was already starting to feel a little looseness in the steering. If the bushings were already starting to go bad, then the alignment might not have been up to snuff.