XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Headlamp lens

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Replacing Headlamp lens

Per my "Gogred" thread of a few weeks ago, my left hand headlamp was cracked and the insurance company also said my bumper needed to be removed and repainted.....I did not argue..figured I'd have them change out the fog lamp bulbs while it was apart.

I missed my appointment yesterday w/the body shop could not help it and called mid morning to inform.

Well, the body shop was a bit snippy with me..so being the calm mature middle aged rational man that I am I am saying poo on you body shop.

There is virtually no damage to the bumper, the paint is good (not great), over the entire car and now I am reasoning that why have a sparkling new bumper next to a 15 yr old paint job on the bonnet?

So....I have sourced a new headlight lens and can get it by the weekend. I looked on the forums here but could not find a DIY for replacement of the lens.

Anyone have any tips? Or even an outlet for a good used lens, (I can buy new OEM for $235).

Thanks all

Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This thread should help you remove the headlight assembly: Removing Headlight Assy

Once it is out, gently pry up the tabs separating the lens housing and the body of the headlight (I think there are 2 or 3 on each long side and one on each end). The lens and the housing will then separate, it will be helped automatically by the rubber gasket pressure. Replace the lens with the new gasket it comes with.

The following users liked this post:
thegreatgarbanzo (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks!

Surprised I could not find that in the search function.

Wife is out all day Saturday...should be fun

Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This thread should help you remove the headlight assembly: Removing Headlight Assy

Once it is out, gently pry up the tabs separating the lens housing and the body of the headlight (I think there are 2 or 3 on each long side and one on each end). The lens and the housing will then separate, it will be helped automatically by the rubber gasket pressure. Replace the lens with the new gasket it comes with.
So a 'lens' isn't just the glass, it's the glass and the complete plastic moulded assembly visible from outside the vehicle?

JAGUAR XK8 - Headlamp lens.pdf

Item 2 in the illustration.

Graham

Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
So a 'lens' isn't just the glass, it's the glass and the complete plastic moulded assembly visible from outside the vehicle?

Attachment 19106

Item 2 in the illustration.

Graham
No. The lens IS the glass. Then there is the gasket and the plastic housing, which includes the reflectors, with their socketed lamps/bulbs, and attendant miscellaneous wiring. Altogether these parts comprise the headlight assembly.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

The lens and reflector assembly, which includes the gasket, is avaialble separately from the rest of the headlight assembly for around $200.

This can save you big $ if you just have a cracked lens or a discolored reflector.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Good news - I thought the only solution to a cracked lens would be to replace the complete headlight assembly.

Thanks.

Graham

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Good news - I thought the only solution to a cracked lens would be to replace the complete headlight assembly.

Thanks.

Graham
They are expensive to replace. I ended up paying 350US for a complete used unit. Oh well...

Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, gents.
I hate to hijack this thread, but it's quite fitting for my question and will help to avoid spamming new non-critical threads all over the forum .
I also have a inquiry about the lens. I really like the look of the dark lens from XKRs, but am unable to find a single one on sale unless its the whole headlight assembly. I'd be really happy if someone knows of a vendor who sells the XKR lens only for reasonable price. Below is a picture to support the description.

Thanks all for your attention and feedback .
Best,
Danny.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Headlamp lens-6qwm3i28cc.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
dannyS (04-02-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 AM

WhiteXKR, pardon me if its somehow a common knowledge, but besides your pointer (exactly what I wished for ) to the lens vendor, would you also happen to know how to deal with a missing headlight washer assembly? Anybody? My XK8 has a solid chrome fill in place of the washers. Is there some sort of washer delete for lenses only or would I have to purchase the washer assembly as well ...
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Danny.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dannyS
WhiteXKR, pardon me if its somehow a common knowledge, but besides your pointer (exactly what I wished for ) to the lens vendor, would you also happen to know how to deal with a missing headlight washer assembly? Anybody? My XK8 has a solid chrome fill in place of the washers. Is there some sort of washer delete for lenses only or would I have to purchase the washer assembly as well ...
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Danny.
The lenses come in two versions...with the washer option and without the washer option.

On cars with the washer, the non-fixed chrome cover and the nozzle are all separate items.

Are you missing the washer cover and nozzle on just one side?

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Arland Green (05-16-2014), dannyS (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The lenses come in two versions...with the washer option and without the washer option.

On cars with the washer, the non-fixed chrome cover and the nozzle are all separate items.

Are you missing the washer cover and nozzle on just one side?
No, my factory lenses do not have the washer units at all. With that being said, the parts breakdown on the vendor site is not clear on whether the xenon lens are in fact w/o the washer or with it.

I should probably give them a call . Thanks for your prompt response, WhiteXKR.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I think that you could convert your reflective interior to the black by wiping it with a cloth. The 'shiny' is vapor deposited and will wipe right off. I know because I tried to clean my 'shiny' with no intent to convert it to black.

Arland Green (05-16-2014)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by test point
I think that you could convert your reflective interior to the black by wiping it with a cloth. The 'shiny' is vapor deposited and will wipe right off. I know because I tried to clean my 'shiny' with no intent to convert it to black.
hahah, you must be joking ...

well, that would be the most economic solution to the black lens conversion dilemma. You're saying that it wiped right off? I did a xenon conversion earlier this year, and have not noticed any silver coming off after separating the lens and reflector housing...

Did you restore the lens to silver after the accidental wipe off or did you wiped them clean (black). If so, could you post a picture of it?

Thanks in advance,
Danny.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

At my first touch it was evident that the 'silver' would wipe off. I quit at that point because of wanting to retain the bright look.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Same thing happened to me. After separating lens from housing, went to wipe clean the reflective silver and it came off on the rag. Like TPoint I stopped messing w/ it right then and there.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Danny, are you going to wipe it off? If you do, I want to see pictures of the end result. I'm not a fan of the shiny reflective look.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Danny, are you going to wipe it off? If you do, I want to see pictures of the end result. I'm not a fan of the shiny reflective look.
Hi M8.
I will pull the light out sometimes this week and will report back on the silver wipe off phenomena
Regards,
D.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default re Light for XJR 2001 etc

Will this help
Complete light {outer} Chrome Bezel . stamped 09H22 08-06-98
Non washer type
will be in orange County June 8 thru Jun 17

if you want or ant one does its available .
PM me @ casabala1@aol.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Headlamp lens