XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing OEM head unit => CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Default replacing OEM head unit => CD changer

97 XK8 and am replacing the OEM stereo with a modern Alpine unit. I have been in contact with Nexxia but they have not been helpful.

My question is : the information I have is if you replace the head unit the CD changer in the trunk will not work. You must replace it as well.
1. Is this true?
2. If so, why?
3. Can you use the same connection cable to the changer or must you run another, different type of cable?
4. If different type, which kind?
5. I am replacing the original unit with a modern Alpine head unit. My understanding is the original CD changer is an Alpine unit. So I think they should be compatible.
Thanks

Last edited by greenforest56; 01-26-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While the audio signals will be fine, the standards each manufacturer use to control the changer are different. If you can find an Alpine changer and your head unit supports it you might be able to swap it for the original changer and get it working. This might require running a new cable or else putting new Alpine connectors on the existing cable.
I have a modern Pioneer head unit in my 2000 XK8 and I don't miss the changer. I just burn mp3 files on a cd and I can fit what the changer could handle on one disc. The only reason I haven't removed the changer is in case someone wants to go back to the completely origninal system.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 PM

How many songs can you get on a CD?
The original CD changer is an Alpine unit.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The number of songs depends on how much of an Audiophile you are. CDs hold 700MB so if your songs are around 5MB each you can easily fit 100 on a disc.

If you're still serious about the changer you might want to look into an Alpine changer controller that feeds the signal to the head unit through a FM modulator.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

is your oem stereo not operating?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:04 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

The alpine HU and CD changer in the trunk communicate on a proprietary communications network, and the wiring between the two, as I recall, is specific to these makes/models, I seem to remember some kind of coax like cable, and I also recall reading a couple of years ago that alpine discontinued this communication protocol. Anyhow, this is in my opinion going to be your biggest challenge. Not only would you need to replace your HU, but also the changer,,and add the proprietary comms link wiring. While there may be used alpine HU and changers available on ebay etc, I don't think you will find all the additional parts needed. No one pulls out the wiring from these cars, in fact, I don't think that even would be possible. In my opinion, having done it myself, it would be easier to replace the HU with an aftermarket unit, install a new amp in the trunk, and you will have a modern system with steering wheel controls and bluetooth, as well as MP3 capability etc. it is an effort to wire in an aftermarket, as there are no pre-made harnesses, and depending on what you install, you may need to make a custome faceplate. But it isn't too bad. Search the forum and you will find some write ups on this subject. H2Oboy did a nice custom single din unit, and I did a double din JVC install that I am more than happy with.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 01-27-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:52 PM

The OEM system works fine, I just want to update it with a more modern unit : Bluetooth, XM radio, USB, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM

So, what you are saying is the proprietary cable between the OEM head unit and CD changer is the issue? If so, I will not only have to replace both head unit and CD changer but the cable between the two as well?

Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by greenforest56
So, what you are saying is the proprietary cable between the OEM head unit and CD changer is the issue? If so, I will not only have to replace both head unit and CD changer but the cable between the two as well?
what I was trying to say is that the head unit and cd changer in our cars used a proprietary communications link to talk to each other, for the control of the unit. Newer aplines don't use that same communications system. Any modern head unit will not communicate with the existing changer. If you wanted to replace the head unit with a modern unit, and if you still want a cd changer in the trunk, you would need to replace the one in the trunk with a new one also, and you would need to run any wiring between the two, as the existing communications wiring won't work either.

Honestly, I doubt there are modern head units with modern remote cd changers anyhow.

If it were me, a modern in car entertainment system would be the way to go. They have a cd and dvd reader if you must still use them because you haven't cut over to the MP3, Internet music streaming such as pandora etc, bluetooth for phone calls. And you can use voice guidance from phone navigation apps, etc.

Also, there are no wiring harnesses made to connect modern head units to our cars, no companies bothered as the volumes are too low. The only way to connect them is to manually wire them. For me, I installed a new amplifier as well, as I don't think the factory amp is usable either, but I didn't want to use it anyhow. I installed a double din 6.5 inch touch screen JVC system, wired it to ignition switched power, ran new shielded wiring from it to the trunk mounted amp. Ran wiring from my backup camera to it. Bought a nexxia universal steering wheel controls interface, and made my own faceplate trim. Also, to do this I needed to relocate the row of buttons immediatley above the factory radio. I moved it to the glovebox. It is a time consuming, and tedious process.

The following users liked this post:
greenforest56 (01-28-2015)