Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request for Buddy on 2000 XKR "Back to Stock Project""

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Request for Buddy on 2000 XKR "Back to Stock Project""

Hi All,

I haven't been on the forum here for a couple of years. During this time I was licking my wounds from a failed twin-screw supercharger upgrade. The failure boiled down to constant issues with fuel and vacuum leaks. If I solved the vacuum leaks, I got fuel smells, If I solved the fuel smells, I ended up with more vacuum leaks. I finally gave up.

Now that I am mentally over this, I want to return the car to stock, using the original Eaton supercharger. The problem is that the twin-screw project started about 5 years ago and with so many changes and modifications made to the car for it, I don't think my memory will guide me to putting all the original parts back together correctly. That is why I am asking for a buddy to help me along through this process. I will need this person to take pictures of various parts of the engine bay and specific components, to hopefully show me the correct configuration of many of the fuel, electrical and vacuum components that comprise the supercharger installation on the 4.0L engine. This person must also be very familiar and comfortable with the assembly and removal of the stock supercharger, so that hopefully, it won't be necessary for them to actually take the things apart on their engine in order to school me through my own assembly.

The rest of the car is in fantastic condition, as it only has 30,000 miles on it.

If you think you are up to this and would enjoy providing assistance, I would be sincerely grateful. PM me and we can talk further.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I see this is a bit dated, but were you able to get your project completed?

I am in the middle of a tear down to replace all the hoses and whatever else that looks old on my 2001 XKR and am now trying to identify all the hoses and buy the parts I need ahead of time. I managed to break several of the plastic fittings as well as one of the retainer clips on the electrical connector to the throttle body. Wondering if you found a source and method for replacing/fixing the connectors. Also need a source for the vacuum tubing to replace it all, but all the vendors apparently want to sell you each individual piece.

If you are still working on it I would be more than happy to offer any help.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Good reason to stick with an XK8. No screws, hoses, etc. Just ignite and go.

The following users liked this post:
ozbot (01-25-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 02:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,829 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by 4zfed
..... If you think you are up to this and would enjoy providing assistance, I would be sincerely grateful. PM me and we can talk further.
I see this kind of request popping up more and more on our forums and the trend is concerning.

We are a public FORUM. The idea is to share ideas and information ON THE FORUM for the benefit and knowledge of all. If members choose to carry out their discussions through PM or email, we are moving more towards a DATING site.

With information posted in a thread, members then have the choice to follow topics of interest and the facility to search for information when coming up against an issue. Non members can find it through a search and be encouraged to register and contribute. Evereyone benefits This isn't possible if the knowledge is only shared directly between individuals.

I'm not 'having a go' at you, just using this as an example. Hope you are making progress with the return to stock.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Kev-P- (01-26-2022), motorcarman (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Good reason to stick with an XK8. No screws, hoses, etc. Just ignite and go.

hey now, the XK8’s have their share of complication idiosyncrasies too, via items not shared by the XKR’s, especially the 4.0’s .

Choosing an XK8 vs XKR is not a black vs white type of decision. Plenty of shares or grey make it a complicated matter

Z

Last edited by zray; 01-26-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:00 PM

Hey jimejag,
Wow, I'm glad that SOMEONE finally showed some interest in my predicament. Per my other post here, I have gotten it all back together, using a combination of my original parts, some used parts from eBay and a couple of new parts.

It is currently at the Jaguar dealer near Denver. They have done some work on the wiring and replaced the TPS. They just contacted me yesterday to say that it is still throwing codes from the throttle body. The recommendation is to replace the TB with new, cost $1,900. With the work they have already done $900+, I'd be in for $2,800. I'm going to talk further with them about the chances this would actually fix it and whether they would consider using a new/refurbished TB. They are quoting $1,530 for the new one. We'll see what they say.

To answer your question, I considered purchasing a used engine wiring harness off eBay, but ended up splicing-in what I already had. For the vacuum hoses, it would be much cheaper to purchase a few feet of plain silicone hose of the correct ID. My car only has 30k miles, so the original hoses I had were all still in good shape. Just makes me mad that with so few miles, the TB bit the dust.

There is a guy in PA who sells used XKR parts on eBay. If you want his info, let me know.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:22 PM

I should acknowledge that there were a few people who did help out with good information and answers to my questions on the other thread. It's just a fact that luxury cars are not typically owned by DIY folks, so the nitty gritty information and experience is a bit harder to come by. My own bit of experience with this car also, hasn't given me much confidence when working on anything electrical or specific to Jaguars or this engine. Bottom line, I'll be happy to try to answer your questions but I still feel very limited.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:36 PM

I feel your pain. Shortly after I bought my XKR it acted up and went into limp mode, so I drove it into a nearby local repair shop. This was before I had read anything about the cars quirks or found the forums. Even though the shop manager had previously owned an XKR, their answer was to replace the throttle body as well.
Since I was not dependent on it for a daily driver, I chose to take it home and try to fix it. I cleaned the carbon buildup on the butterfly valve, bought contact cleaner and went through all the connections, bought a new Denso TPS sensor on Ebay (beware of China knock-offs), and that seemed to fix the issue. There are people who rebuild the components as well on an exchange basis, so I would try a few more options before going with the nuclear option.

I found the rest of your posts after commenting, and I will be referring to it as well as some other posts I finally found when I get all my parts and start putting it back together. It is not an easy task to identify all the bits and pieces and then figure what the part number is, much less find it for a reasonable price.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:48 PM

Here is a much cheaper option......check this out:
https://www.autoecu.com/throttle-bod...ice-1999-2003/

Last edited by jimejag; 01-26-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:11 PM

While I'm on here, I thought I would see if anyone had thoughts about the water pump I took off that is no doubt the primary reason for my teardown project. The orange is coolant residue that collected next to the seal. This pump was replaced by a dealer shortly before I received the car, and based on what I am seeing, it looks like the pump is OK, it was just leaking because it was not installed correctly, either due to a bad bad gasket or loose bolts.
Comments anyone?

Old 01-26-2022, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 961 Posts

Personally I would be replacing the water pump. The part cost is not particularly expensive and you already have the old one off.

Z

Old 01-26-2022, 02:27 PM

Totally agree, but understanding exactly what the problem was / is what I am trying to figure out. Is there any way to tell who made this pump? Is is one of the cheap ones or the high dollar Jag original?

Old 02-10-2022, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

The plastic bits become mush. Just replace it. Inexpensive enough