Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar for less than $100

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Roll Bar for less than $100

Hi Guys,
Have made an addition to my 98 vert that I've contemplated for a long time....a roll bar. However I also wanted to have a backseat delete ala Philhef, along with an addition of twin subs and audio upgrade...you all see where this is going right? Those factors, and the fact of a beer budget, caused me to look for a more immediate, cheaper and quicker solution.
I obtained a rollbar for a Mazda Miata on Ebay for about $85, and proceeded to see if I could make it work. As the intent here was for something aesthetic, I was hoping for a simple mod that could be undone at a later date when the aforementioned modifications are scheduled to take place.
As it turned out, it was extremely simple, and had I not possess some **** idiosyncrasies as it relates to the Jag, It could have been installed almost by just drilling 2 holes and bolting it up.
Quite candidly the most time consuming part for me was redoing the upholstery for a clean look.
Had I not been obsessed with the rollbar having a rake to it matching the rake of my front seats, and the fact that I wanted it a 1/2" lower, it would have been probably less than a 1 hour job, upholstery not withstanding.
I will attempt a write up if you guys would find it beneficial. However my literary skills are almost as bad as my mechanical skills.
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (09-30-2022)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

That looks really good, but technically, that is a "style bar".

Is has about the same rollover protection as the padded PVC roll cage we put into my friends VW bug back in high school in 1982.

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (09-29-2022)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Nice looking Jag, yes please do provide details.

Also I like the hard top cover, can't spell to****** LOL, anyway I've been toying with experimenting a way to make the T cover more permanent and simi-automatic when the top goes up and down. Would require a lot of fabrication and experimenting. If only I could find one used, cheap one to experiment with.

Last edited by Jandreu; 11-14-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:52 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker

Hi Guys,
Have made an addition to my 98 vert that I've contemplated for a long time....a roll bar. However I also wanted to have a backseat delete ala Philhef, along with an addition of twin subs and audio upgrade...you all see where this is going right? Those factors, and the fact of a beer budget, caused me to look for a more immediate, cheaper and quicker solution.
I obtained a rollbar for a Mazda Miata on Ebay for about $85, and proceeded to see if I could make it work. As the intent here was for something aesthetic, I was hoping for a simple mod that could be undone at a later date when the aforementioned modifications are scheduled to take place.
As it turned out, it was extremely simple, and had I not possess some **** idiosyncrasies as it relates to the Jag, It could have been installed almost by just drilling 2 holes and bolting it up.
Quite candidly the most time consuming part for me was redoing the upholstery for a clean look.
Had I not been obsessed with the rollbar having a rake to it matching the rake of my front seats, and the fact that I wanted it a 1/2" lower, it would have been probably less than a 1 hour job, upholstery not withstanding.
I will attempt a write up if you guys would find it beneficial. However my literary skills are almost as bad as my mechanical skills.
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.

Not getting into the merits of 'why would anyone put a roll bar on this type of car'. What I think is far more interesting is the possibility of fitting a cheap wind deflecter from a Miata on an xk8. If the sizes are similar, it could might work.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Bar for 2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible

Currently seeking a legal roll bar for my 2000 XKR so I can take the car to track day. Not concerned with losing use of the back seat…my son is 22 and won’t be riding back there sidesaddle anymore…he has his own S2000 convertible which came with integrated roll bars. Really hoping someone makes something. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09-29-2022, 12:52 PM
Default Did you lower car. I like look! How did you black out all your chrome?

Did you lower car? I like look! How did you black out chrome and lights?

Old 09-30-2022, 09:06 AM
Default Cool Roll Bar

Originally Posted by hm1
Not getting into the merits of 'why would anyone put a roll bar on this type of car'. What I think is far more interesting is the possibility of fitting a cheap wind deflecter from a Miata on an xk8. If the sizes are similar, it could might work.
Platinummaker: Love the look and as long as the SCCA would pass it so I can track my car occasionally, I'd be in on this mod. You did a great install there. Please do provide details as to where you bought the Miata roll bar and what mods you had to make to fit it and what you did upholstery-wise. Really appreciate the response and pics!!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketguy65
Currently seeking a legal roll bar for my 2000 XKR so I can take the car to track day. Not concerned with losing use of the back seat…my son is 22 and won’t be riding back there sidesaddle anymore…he has his own S2000 convertible which came with integrated roll bars. Really hoping someone makes something. Thanks in advance for any help!
Your best bet is going to be looking for a local fabricator that builds cages - which will likely be a weld in unit as it is stronger than bolt in, but there are some shops willing to make bolt in.

Donut media did a crush test with Miatas and certain roll bars. Definitely worth a watch.

Regarding tracking an '00; coilovers, LSD and Brembos will go a long way in the fun and performance departments. The factory setup did not have track use in mind.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

That installation looks very nice. Where does the bottom of the bar bolt to? Is it something substantial that would feed a load to the main body tub? I would like to know if the manufacturer claimed any safety benefit or if it was just a "light Bar" as used on many late 90's Mustangs.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:35 PM
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketguy65
Platinummaker: Love the look and as long as the SCCA would pass it so I can track my car occasionally, I'd be in on this mod. You did a great install there. Please do provide details as to where you bought the Miata roll bar and what mods you had to make to fit it and what you did upholstery-wise. Really appreciate the response and pics!!
It looks good and fits the look you are going for (black, right? ) That definitely does not pass muster with the SCCA though. It would actually be safer without it (no mousetrapping then)
My other car is a Miata. Style bars often draw scorn, I'm cool with them as long as folks know what they are and do and don't do. SCCA would need iirc at least 4 distinct mount points and pass the broomstick test if the track/event requires a helmet. Any event that doesn't require a helmet probably wont require a roll bar either. All the depends on the event/rules. For some cogent examples, go to the hard dog website and look at their miata roll bars; they have a chart showing which ones comply with which rules.