XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging/collapsed front Coil Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 03:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sagging/collapsed front Coil Springs

2000 XKR- My front end is lower than the rear end- sagging front coil springs.

Apparently this happens to many people as evidenced by the number of replacement oil coolers being damaged/split by collision with bumps, potholes, or parking curbs. I cracked mine open before realizing that my front end was sagging, and too low, and it was the oil cooler taking the impact-- not the suspension cross member.

The distance from the center of the rear wheel to the fender lip is 15". The front should be the same, however my front end, however, is only 13" wheel center to fender lip. I need to raise it by 2".

My Jag guy in Phoenix suggested spring spacers to offset the "collapse"-- a cheaper alternative to spending a wad on replacing the springs, and renovating the shocks, struts, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this "work-around" using spring spacers. If so, which spacers work the best?

Old 12-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

2½" low at the front could be a combination of tired springs and collapsed upper mounts, but your rear is also ~1" low. The factory ride heights are here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post2146849

Perhaps the car has had lowering springs fitted?

Old 12-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The standard answer is to replace the upper shock mounts. Jaguar part is not durable, but there are (mostly) good reviews on the Welsh mount. You have to start there, yours are very likely collapsed. The orange foam material is likely coming apart, and the shock is no longer centered in the mount.

Besides the mount, there are a couple of plastic rings in the "stack", as well as the spring rest. Make sure all of that is in place.

A failed lower shock joint could also contribute to this problem. They are available separately from the shock, which makes $en$e if you have the active suspension.

Springs can sag over time as well. Hard to tell. Unfortunately, there seem to be many variants, some/most not available anymore.

When all else fails to bring the ride height back up, folks make an insert to go between the upper mount and the shock tower. As the shock rests mid-way along the control arm, the ride height can be adjusted almost double the thickness of the insert. From memory, someone mentioned material taken from a hard plastic kitchen cutting board.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Red (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your feedback... always possible about the lowering springs... but unlikely.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Received 157 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the same problem with mine this summer. Bought new original springs and new upper shock mounts. When dismantling I discovered that the new original springs had 9.5 turn on the coil, but those on the car had 9 turns. Double checked that the new ones was correct for the car (2000 XKR convertible) so mine had wrong springs fitted at some point.

The following users liked this post:
Red (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

How many miles on the car? Had the same problem with my '99 XK8 95,000mi. The 2000 XKR might be specked a little different. Having additive suspension adds a little twist. But not much. I replaced everything on the front end except the springs for under $1000 by doing the work myself. I thought this was not bad since I intend to keep the car for a long while. Not a very hard job. Got most of the parts off eBay. The upper shock mounts and possibly the shock bushings are usually the problem. I used the urethane shock mounts. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and links. Do your home work before jumping to conclusions. Need more help just ask.
Mitch