XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

This will help for the first part, there are many companies who refurbish wheels and likely one in your area. If you're near Ohio, get in touch.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=headliner

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Find a local auto uhpolstry shop they should be able to replace the fabric. What happens is the fabric separates from the foam. You can not reattach the fabric just replace it. If there are creases in it I would thing you could steam them out. but if possible by it on a roll. I had a friend from grade school change mine. He has a small shop and he charged me about 800.00. But that included a new rear deck and labor to install my new leather on the front seats. I know he did not take the front glass out. but the rest of the interior was out of the car. I had him send the carpet out for cleaning as well, also part of the 800.00.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sagging Headliner Repair

Umberto, I had the same problem in my '99 XK8. I purchased 4 yards of fabric from World Upholstrey for $52 and a can of headliner adhesive from the autoparts store and followed the removal sequence in the JTIS and had it done in an afternoon. Scrape the old foam off of the fiberglass shell with a stiff bristle brush before applying ample adhesive. Follow the instructions on the adhesive (give it a while after applying adhesive before applying fabric to shell). I layed the entire fabric down, then folded half of it back (with shell upside down on a table), applied the adhesive, waited, then folded the fabric down onto the glued surface. Then repeated on the other half. Then I smoothed it out with the palm of my hand. Just make sure your hands are clean. It wasn't too difficult. Pick up a can of their aerosol fabric dye too and you can fix your sunbleached rear speaker deck while you are at it. Do yourself a favor and don't skip the step of taking out the seats (easy 4 bolts) (although I skipped the step of taking out the center console). I was into the project for about $100, new headliner, and my rear deck is renewed, as well as my floormats (dyed all of the above).

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Bad Dog,

I guess my bottom line question is this: did the finished and installed headliner have any creases?

The first reason for my question is that WLS ships their fabric folded, and I have rolls of fabric that looks creased to the extent that it would show up in the car. This was not an issue once the folded fabric was glued in place?

Secondly, I never found a JTIS procedure for the headliner R&R, and presumed that "windshield out" would be the factory method. No thanks. So that means you had to fold the board after it was recovered to install it. And that didn't leave a crease?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Default Headliner Repair and Replacement

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did not receive any emails showing activity in this or my other posts.

I received my material on a roll, though it did have a small crease in it (very little). I assume you could steam the crease out, or gently iron it out first. I think you'd need to put something between the iron and the headliner fabric to keep the iron from burning the material or foam. I used to use a special cloth for this when ironing a wool suit.

The JTIS does have a headliner R & R procedure in it. I have an '99 XK8 and the procedure was in there for that model. I did not take the windshield out. However, you do have to barely bend one of the corners. I bent the corner up by the driver's head, where the sun visor is attached, the little dog leg sticking up. There isn't that much bending that has to take place. The JTIS tells you to take out the seats and center console. You will end up having to bend the headliner more if you don't remove the seats and center console. In other words, don't skip that step. Make sure your glue/adhesive is tacky and it will hold the material to the fiberglass shell. I didn't have any creases once it was installed.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Default JTIS Procedure info

I found the JTIS sequence number for you: 76.64.01.

You navigate to it from "Service" then "Body and Paint" then "Trim and Ornamentation, Interior" then "Removal and Installation" then "Headlining 76.64.01".

Hope that helps. I have a question for you on the subframe thread if you have a minute. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If the headliner is in two pieces I guess you could . But what usually happens is the foam deteriorates and can't be fixed. Short term is to use upholstery posts. They are little screw like pins with heads on them.
Jo Ann Fabrics.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Baddog,

That tells me my assumption was correct that the headliner board should not have been stuck fast to the windscreen sealer. I'm glad I finished that job the way I did, but I'll try the method you provided next time. Thanks for doing the homework.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

JC Whitney has a quick and dirty short term solution:

Saggy Stoppers Emergency Headliner Fasteners
Customer Rating: (5.0) Read 1 Reviews SKU Number: 1JA 443664 Manufacturer Number: HU-850 Product Options: Saggy Stoppers Emergency Headliner Fasteners

Price: $5.99

They're screw-in type buttons so you could probably install enough of them in a pattern so to be fairly presentable in the short term.

Mike