Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seat Belt problem

Hi guys,
Anyone have any info regarding a Front Seat Belt that retracts weakly? I removed the back seats and rear Quarter Panel to get at the Belt Retractor. The belt had twisted one time, which I straightened out. Unfortunately, it is still fairly weak and has to be eased back every time to make sure that it won't twist again. Kind of a nuisance. From what little I know about it, the whole Seat Belt Assembly has to be replaced, but I hate to spend $400+ on a Seat Belt. Does anyone have any tips or info that might help?
Many thanks in advance for the help!
Brian

Old 12-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not sure about Jag's but I work for Nissan and it would be covered under warranty for life. Let me know what they tell you when you call as mine is getting slow as well.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 AM

Thanks, I thought that only pertained to the automatic "Passive Seat Belts", but I'll call the Dealership today to verify that. Anyone else?
Thank you,
Brian

Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search for "seatbelt" or "seat belt". Many people have had issues such as this.

My best guess is that the spring inside the belt retractor has simply given up a bit. Most of the time, you can DIY the fix.

Remove the belt retractor casing to expose the inner workings. Look for the spring that would roll the seat belt up. If it isn't as tight as it should be, then give it one more revolution, and refit into place.

Most fixes of this nature may take a bit of time the first time you do it, but three things will come out of it:

1. YOU will have done the job (sense of accomplishment).
2. You now know one more thing about your car that you didn't before.
3. Because of #2, you'll be able to do it faster should the need arise again.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi,
I have searched.................and searched. I have yet to find a thread that addresses this problem. If anyone knows of one, please point me towards it.
"Remove the belt retractor casing to expose the inner workings. Look for the spring that would roll the seat belt up. If it isn't as tight as it should be, then give it one more revolution, and refit into place."

This sounds like very good advice if indeed it will work. I have spare Retractor that evidently is for a different year's model, or a convertible rather than a coupe. In any case, it will work as my Guinea Pig. The spring is a very long, flat, coiled one. It is also a cross between a spychotic Slinky and a Jack-in-the-Box! I am not sure that it will go willingly back into the cavity from which it so violently sprung. I'll try again after dinner.

If anyone has actually done this and has any procedural advice, I would very much appreciate it.
Brian