XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Heater - removed seat, now not working.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Seat Heater - removed seat, now not working.

Hi all, recently I had to remove my seat to perform the dreaded brake switch replacement.
I removed all plugs etc under the seat and replaced all of them when I completed the switch job.
I did not disconnect the battery however as some have recommended should be done during seat removal.
The main reason I didn't disconnect the battery is I didn't want to have to remove my radio to retrieve its serial number if I had the misfortune of having to enter the radio code upon disconnecting the battery.
I don't as yet have the radio code as the car came with no books or code sheets as per a new car and I'm not keen to pull dash bits just to get the code if I can avoid it.
So, my question is has perhaps my seat removal somehow upset the seat heater and should I really have disconnected the battery first? Would this affect the heater? I doubt it personally but hey wouldn't surprise me either lol
Part of me thinks me having to lie down on the seat wiring loom time after time during the switch changeover has perhaps disrupted or broken a wire and this is the reason I have no seat heater. This has to be it I think...
Your thoughts welcome please.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The heater circuit involves the seat control module. It is located under the bottom cushion, near the front edge. These modules are known to fail A LOT. The usual recommendation (after checking the fuses and double checking your plugs (each should "click" in)) is to swap the driver and passenger modules and see if the fault follows the module. Then go from there.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a quick update for now. I lifted the seat again and checked connections to find all seemed ok. Not too keen to swap out seat control modules as yet, the main reason my old back is not great and I found it hard enough doing the drivers seat...holding it up with one arm unplugging etc whilst kneeling.
I have a new issue now...(well it was old!)...got new plugs and intake had holes in tube maybe 3 months back now. The mechanic said I had original plugs it seemed (135,000 km - 86k miles I believe or thereabouts) anyway replaced those and intake tube repaired (not replaced just patched up by mechanic) I have only done maybe 1000km from the previous repair and getting same code P0202 misfire on cyl 2 and P1316 misfire mfg control.
I'm a little annoyed as this last repair cost me $600 for plugs etc and merely a couple of months down and same code? Darn, this car seems jinxed and costing more than I initially envisaged she would. So this is the new primary issue to get sorted...so much for the quick update huh. Sorry, a bit frustrated today...