Secondary Timing Chain Tensioners vs. Complete Timing Overhaul - Page 3 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
Reload this Page >

Secondary Timing Chain Tensioners vs. Complete Timing Overhaul

Notices
XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Secondary Timing Chain Tensioners vs. Complete Timing Overhaul

Old 03-12-2019, 08:43 PM

I want to emphasize what is mentioned in the previous post.
Loosening and removing the crankshaft bolt is a heavy job, and you need the proper tool to hold the damper. You will be pulling firmly on a three foot breaker bar extension/pipe.
The tools for locking the flexplate or camshafts are not up to the task. Don't even try.
Using anything other than the proper tool here will just cost you more time and money.
In the thread of my timing chain replacement, I have a picture of the tool braced against the body with a piece of wood. This worked well. I highly recommend it.
With the proper tools, this is no big deal. Keep it that way.
Buy or rent the tool. It's cheaper than a new, or rebuilt, damper, or worse. This is no time to try to engineer a way to save a dollar and cost yourself $1000.
Christopher's Foreign Car Parts in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey will hook you up.

The Following User Says Thank You to stu46h For This Useful Post:
volkris (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM

I fully agree with Greg. Nothing else should be used, primarily or as secondary support, to hold the crankshaft except for the holding tool firmly attached to the damper hub. I mentioned aligning the cams as a matter of convenience for myself to have everything close when I get to the next steps of the chain alignment and to confirm that my chains have not skipped a tooth. With two tools of that extended length working against each other, there is a LOT of pressure going in and other parts would quickly break up. If you can mount the tool against a firm body part like Greg did, that works fine. Somehow my situation did not line up as well (Didn't really try that hard to create that set up) and I was fortunate to find the pipes I needed in my local Home Depot scrap bin since I was going by there anyway. The right tools are always preferred.
Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis435 For This Useful Post:
volkris (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 AM

Should there be something that plugs either the viewing hole down next to the crankshaft positioning sensor, or the opening on the other side of the flywheel housing? I'm open on both sides and am feeling a bit naked.
Mark

Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 PM

There is a curvy rectangularish rubber plug about 2 inches by 3 inches to view the holes on the flexplate. Most of the holes in the flexplate are square but the one that fits the tool is oval. Unfortunately you can't see the oval one as it's approaching the proper position, but you get a nice view of it just after it went too far. Great placement of the hole by Jaguar.
This is the one man version of this task: With the plug out, just watch the flats on the cams as you rotate the crankshaft. When the flats on the cams are close to parallel, stop and check the flexplate. Move the crankshaft as little as possible and check the flexplate again. Realize you went too far and go around again. After a few times, you'll see the oval hole coming into position. Use a screwdriver through the hole to get the flexplate in the perfect position.

The Following User Says Thank You to stu46h For This Useful Post:
volkris (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM

Yeah, that rectangularish rubber plug (Perfect description :-)) is what I'm looking for. Now how to search for that in the suppliers catalogs?

Old 03-15-2019, 03:37 AM
Ltd
Default Bell housing plug

Originally Posted by Nemesis435 View Post
Yeah, that rectangularish rubber plug (Perfect description :-)) is what I'm looking for. Now how to search for that in the suppliers catalogs?
My 98 stone guard was missing. Part is NLA. I found one used.