XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System will not go into program mode for key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Security System will not go into program mode for key fob

Hi, This is my first post although I have found many helpful posts here in the past several months. I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible. I am in Midwest United States and it is left hand drive.
I am going to post a lot of information but my bottom line question is if there is a fuse for the security system that I can check to see if it is working. I am trying to figure this out for myself as it is quite a long distance for me to go to the nearest Jag dealer and they have not been helpful on the phone.

This car set for almost a year with a dead battery. I put a new battery in it and most of the electrical seems to work ok. However, the trunk button and gas filler cap button on the dash just left of the steering wheel does not work. Also the key fob does not work. I used the key in the trunk to get the trunk lid open.
I tried reprograming the key fob by following instructions I found on this forum. 1. Hold flash while turning key to first accessory position. Then flashing 4 or 5 times to get the security beep. I am not getting the security beep or flashing light from the console so I cannot go any further to program the key fob.
I purchased a used security module from Coventry and installed it. (below the fuse box in the trunk)
No change. I have a complete electrical diagram that I downloaded from a post on this forum. I have the fuse diagram for the entire car and think I have checked all of the fuses and relays for power. I do not see a specific fuse that may control the security function. So that is my question. Where can I check to see why the security function is not working. Or is there something else I am missing? After going through the procedure to program the key fob, I should get some kind of beep or flashing light. I get neither. Another related question would be, are the dash trunk and gas filler cap buttons hard wired or transmitted? If hard wired is there a fuse for this? I can understand the key fob needing to be reprogramed but not these buttons.
More Info:
1. I put new batteries in the key fob.
2. I don't think the car is in Valet mode as I am not getting a message that it is. Plus I have read on this forum that putting the black key in the trunk or car door takes the car out of valet mode.
3. According to the VCATS label I got the correct security module from Coventry. However I have no way of knowing it is working correctly.
Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me. Bob.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bob,

I would always suspect a faulty fob before a faulty security module. It's unusual to have the module fail.

The fuel filler and luggage compartment releases are hard wired. The fuel filler release will not work with the engine running. The vehicle must be unlocked with the ignition in position I or II. The commonest issue with the luggage compartment release is a break in the harness at the lid hinge.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Hello Bob and welcome, as Graham has said its a good idea and less expensive to check the fob first. I to had a similar problem and was helped by the forum. In short I had the batteries replaced in the fob at a local auto shop but they were cheap Chinese ones and did not work, unbeknown to me at the time. Several days later after trying all the reprogram info on here I took it to an auto locksmith, he put new Maxell batteries in ( Panasonic were also mentioned ) and I tried the fob, it worked. I had also cleaned the cct board with a rubber/eraser to ensure good contact and then cleaned with a micro fibre cloth to remove any residue.
Good luck with the programming, mine worked 1st time with the new batteries, also my car did not chirrup while programming, some do some don't. You will get the red light to come on the console after the 4th flash and then press the red lock button for the confirmation handshake. Worked for me.
Cheers,
ArtyH

Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Bring the key fob to a local Advance Auto Parts or O-Reillys. They have a key fob tester remote tester which will confirm if it is putting out a signal.

And definitely clean the button contact areas and battery contacts as described bu Arty. You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean them.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the reply to my post. I have been out and not had a chance to reply.
To GGG. Thanks. I just checked the lid hinge and did not see any damage. I also posted in the new members area as you suggested.
To ArtyH and WhiteXKR. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I performed the cleaning and new batteries of the fob. I also took the fob to O'Reilly Auto Parts and the fob tested good. My problem is that the car will not go into program mode so I can program the fob. The light does not come on at the shifter console and there is now sound. I must mention that I recently replaced the shifter assembly. However I don't think that has anything to do with it because the lights work on the shifter when I shift to different positions and I get an audible warning when I try to pull the shifter out of park without putting on the brake. All of this is as it should be.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse somewhere that controls this function?
Thanks, Bob.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bobbkc
Thanks for the reply to my post. I have been out and not had a chance to reply.
To GGG. Thanks. I just checked the lid hinge and did not see any damage. I also posted in the new members area as you suggested.
To ArtyH and WhiteXKR. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I performed the cleaning and new batteries of the fob. I also took the fob to O'Reilly Auto Parts and the fob tested good. My problem is that the car will not go into program mode so I can program the fob. The light does not come on at the shifter console and there is now sound. I must mention that I recently replaced the shifter assembly. However I don't think that has anything to do with it because the lights work on the shifter when I shift to different positions and I get an audible warning when I try to pull the shifter out of park without putting on the brake. All of this is as it should be.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse somewhere that controls this function?
Thanks, Bob.
The SLM fuse is #10 in the trunk fusebox, however if the fuse was blown I suspect you would have other problems besides just the fob not programming.

It could be you have a defective SLM. It seems like some of the earlier ones fail at about 12+ years of age.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 PM

WhiteXKR - Thanks for the input. I will look at fuse #10 tonight. I replace the Security Lock Module (under fuse box in trunk) with a used one I purchased from Coventry. The numbers match but maybe that SLM is bad also as it came out of a 1997. If the fuse is not the problem I will get another SLM and try that. Really at this point I have a couple of things not working correctly but nothing that I would think that would have anything to do with the SLM. Car is running fine. Dash buttons for fuel filler cap and trunk lid do not work. Power steering wheel adjustment button does not work and fan motor for heater not working but that is really the only things that do not work that I have tested. Maybe I need to have the SLM programed for the car. Thanks, Bob.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

As long as the VCATS codes match, the SLM should not need to be programmed to the car. Problem is though, many breakers to not keep track of the VCATS code and it is not marked on the SLM label, just on the label in the donor car.

Coventry, however is one company that I would expect does keep proper track of the VCATS.