XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling My Baby :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So very sorry to see you go, but definitely understand the daughter's insurance thing.

I agree with RCSign, heavy and low horsepower, when my kids started driving I gave them my 15yr old volvo 240 wagon, then had them pay for the increase in insurance if they wanted to drive. They hated it at first, but eventually we're just glad to have any "ride". And the insurance wasn't all that much more.

Just the ticket, 'till they froze the engine, guess I should have spent more time teaching them about maintenance

mjw

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default You've Got Your Priorities Right

All the best to you Sam. You only get to keep a sixteen year old daughter for at most a year (she'll turn seventeen ...) and keeping her safe is the best thing you can do. Your other priority is to keep yourself around for your family. Here at the forum it is clear we all understand and respect your decision but we certainly regret the hole selling the XK8 will leave. It will heal and as others have said, we hope there will be another XK8 or its equivalent in your garage soon.

Scott

Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MJW-XKR
So very sorry to see you go, but definitely understand the daughter's insurance thing.

I agree with RCSign, heavy and low horsepower, when my kids started driving I gave them my 15yr old volvo 240 wagon, then had them pay for the increase in insurance if they wanted to drive. They hated it at first, but eventually we're just glad to have any "ride". And the insurance wasn't all that much more.

Just the ticket, 'till they froze the engine, guess I should have spent more time teaching them about maintenance

mjw
A 240 wagon? Was that a punishment for past misdeeds?

Last edited by oldjaglover; 04-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

This is just flat out lousy news.

Anything I have in mind to say here would be a repeat of something already expressed. Except maybe to note that, added to all of the other kudos, the Rev. is a stand-up guy of the first order, and that counts for a lot too.

Sam, I'm sure we'll all be keeping good thoughts for your health. Stop in and visit from time to time.

Last edited by Dennis07; 04-02-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam: you and your tech videos will be dearly missed. I have really come to appreciate some of your off-color commentaries.
I am guessing there is a chance you may reappear with a '05 or '06 XKR in a year or two.
Let us know what kind of car you buy. Maybe I'll get one also, just to follow the videos.
Kindest Regards ... Keep on truck'in dude

Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Marty,
You will be missed! Thanks for all your guidance and hope you will appear with another cat in the future. You're in our prayers and hope to hear your health is on the mend.
Best Regards,

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I do hope all goes well for you.
Your videos gave me the confidence to buy my XK knowing I'd have to DIMS.
Best of luck and, hopefully, good health.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Many blessings to you and your family Marty. Stay strong and keep smiling. Thank you for all you do. God bless.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Really sorry to see you go. The sharing of your experiences with the Jag were a inspiration to us all. The occasional "blue" language just showed it was real and gave me the confidence to try it on my own car. Thanks and best of luck, Padre.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

With 5 cars isn't there another one you can get rid of?

I will miss your advice!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hears to your health and a long life Sam. You will be missed. Please stop by often.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rev,

Ah Damn! You will be missed.

I too insure 5 cars (2 mine...3 kids). In my state I specifically excluded my 3 kids (22,21 and 18) from driving the Jag. It made the insurance bill better. Perhaps you could check?

I hope your health is still trending positively!

Come back!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I just logged in to look up a Sam video on replacing fabric on A-pillars and headliner and I see this post.

Sam, as all have said, we will miss you, your humor and your willingness to dive into another new XK8 project, figure out how things work, document it and then share it with the rest of us.

I've tackled some things on my car that I would not have tried had you not blazed the trail for me. Thank you for that.

Best of luck first with your health situation and family. I'm guessing you will have another XK8 before too long. Take care.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Gonna miss you Sam. Hope you make it back soon. best wishes , I've really enjoyed what you've shared with us.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 564 Posts

Come on now! I just said I was selling the Jag, I didn't say I was quitting the forum or dying! I'm pretty sure that owning a Jag is not a prerequisite to participating in the forum. After all, Jim didn't own a jag last time I checked and he's the administrator! I'll still be joining in the fun here.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Because people are curious about the five cars, two are mine (the Jag and a Ford Expedition), one is the wife's, one is driven by my oldest son, and the other is driven by my oldest daughter. I should just make them buy the cars from me for a dollar, but then they'd have to re-register them in their own names, and the state would make them pay several hundred dollars in sales tax. They are also saving money by being on my insurance. Anyway, It's not like I have a livery of luxury cars to choose from when I leave the house. :-) If I had won the half billion dollars in the lottery last week then I would have built a 50 car parking garage under my new 50,000 square foot home, but since I didn't even match two numbers, I guess I'm still going to have to sell the Jag. :-(

Speaking of the lottery, I had already decided that if I won the lottery I was going to keep the Jag, but I was going to ship it over to XKRacer to let him trick it out for me. Of course, while waiting for it to come back I'd be driving my Maserati Gran Turismo and my Ferrari 458 Spider.

The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
Abby's Guy (04-03-2012), Felipe Pr (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

good luck Sam. hope to see you post a thread about a newly acquired silver XKR sometime in the future.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Come on now! I just said I was selling the Jag, I didn't say I was quitting the forum or dying! I'm pretty sure that owning a Jag is not a prerequisite to participating in the forum. After all, Jim didn't own a jag last time I checked and he's the administrator! I'll still be joining in the fun here.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Because people are curious about the five cars, two are mine (the Jag and a Ford Expedition), one is the wife's, one is driven by my oldest son, and the other is driven by my oldest daughter. I should just make them buy the cars from me for a dollar, but then they'd have to re-register them in their own names, and the state would make them pay several hundred dollars in sales tax. They are also saving money by being on my insurance. Anyway, It's not like I have a livery of luxury cars to choose from when I leave the house. :-) If I had won the half billion dollars in the lottery last week then I would have built a 50 car parking garage under my new 50,000 square foot home, but since I didn't even match two numbers, I guess I'm still going to have to sell the Jag. :-(

Speaking of the lottery, I had already decided that if I won the lottery I was going to keep the Jag, but I was going to ship it over to XKRacer to let him trick it out for me. Of course, while waiting for it to come back I'd be driving my Maserati Gran Turismo and my Ferrari 458 Spider.
Sam you sound just like me! With all the kids and trying to keep the costs down I "Officially" own 5 cars. And have 6 in the driveway if you include my company car. I am at my mechanics shop so much I just walk in throw them the keys grab a cup of coffee and stop by now and then to pay my running tab.

Once your Daughter is settled and you are feeling better I am sure you will once again start looking for another great ride. From time to time I had to sell one of my toys but there was always another somewhere down the road. Face it, its in our blood. Hope you feel better. Thanks for the kit to raise the rear windows with the top down. Maybe we will see you soon on the Aston Martin forum or maybe the Maserati?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy it sure did sound like a wake on here.. poor Rev Sam, I don't really know him but there are sure quite a lot of you that had good things to say about him. You can tell he is someone who has contributed a lot to this forum . Don't worry Sam, this is my first jaguar, I can only hope people have such nice things to say about me when I am forced to sell her.. Lol.
BTW my first car when I was 16 was a 1972 Vega, so, nowhere to go from there but UP !!!

Last edited by Bigguy3903; 04-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Rev Sam, really sorry to hear about you having to sell you Jag. I fell the same about my 2001 XK8 that I currently have for sale on Cars.com. It was my first Jag and I really enjoyed it and ended up buying the 03 XKR. All your videos on fixing various problems on our Jags was the most helpful information an owner could want. I am currently in the process of putting your fix for installing the antenna switch. There is now way I could have done it with out your helpful video. I already fixed the headrests by following you other video. Thanks again for all your input to the Jaguar Forum. Good luck and good health to you.

Best regards
wcnesta

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, Rev - sorry to hear you need to sell her. Your contributions here are now legendary. What will we do the next time WhiteXKR creates a great retrofit and you're not out there video-ing the installation. Thanks for what you've done for all of us.

Back when my daughters were 16-ish, that's when I got them the 1990 TC. I wanted them to have a convertible, but most available were Mustang 5.0 Litres. I knew enough to keep them out of a RWD V8 for their own good. Looks like the insurance companies have that figured out too. The 135hp V6 automatic FWD was just right.

Anyway, I wish you the best on whatever road whatever car carries you down. Don't be a stranger.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Selling My Baby :-(