XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Settling In With My New XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Settling In With My New XK8

Posted this on a previous thread where it is less likely to be seen, so I moved it here:

Okay, just got home with the 2000 XK8 Coupe I was looking at.

Question 1: Is there a source on the Forum for a list of all the fluids, filters, and such that I should change? As far as I can tell from experimenting while driving and a walk around inspection once home, everything on the car is working except the right rear side light (ordered). The car was a small car lot trade-in and did not come with any serious paperwork. So, though I was told all the "fluids have been changed", I'm disinclined to take that as gospel. I would like to flush and replace the radiator and change the engine, supercharger, transmission, and differential oil, as well as the plugs, oil and fuel filters, and air and pollen filters, etc. Is there a list of the factory recommended parts and fluids above and/or a pre-packaged source for all of it like there is with Formula Dynamics and Maseratis and Ferrari's?

Question 2: Cam chain tensioner. Is there a "how to" write-up on how to check the secondary tensioner? I'd like to have it confirmed one way or the other whether or not mine has been upgraded to the metal type.

Edit: I have now run across several Forum Threads and also YouTube videos on the cam tensioners and think I understand what is going on there a bit better. I notice though, that some sources say you only have to change the secondary tensioners and others (on YouTube in particular) which say you need to buy and install a full timing replacement kit including all four tensioners, chains, guides, etc. Can anyone shed any more light on this? Further, there are more than a couple of different cam chain guides etc, meaning that you apparently can't just order any replacement kit but have to have the right one for your specific engine. This suggests to me to avoid eBay and similar sources and to go to a Jaguar specialty parts vendor for the hardware (tensioners, chains, guides, etc). The only name I have seen mentioned is SNG Barrett. Are they the "go to" guys for this stuff or are there others that might be recommended?

Sorry, on the first subject (fluids, filters, etc); there is a company called Formula Dynamics that provides Maserati and Ferrari owners with excellent "service kits" for replacing all the fluids, filters, and spark plugs, etc (among many other replacements and upgrades). I have not been able to find such a source for these same product types for the XK8. I guess I was hoping someone would be able to steer me to such a source. The Formula Dynamics servicing kit (for my Maserati 4200 Coupe for example) is a little expensive ($685), but is quite comprehensive. Hard to beat a box full of everything you need to service your exotic car, shipped right to your door.

Thanks for the help! I have to say this is REALLY a nice car. I've never had one before and though I've only driven it for two days (albeit 800+ miles), it's already a (if not the) favorite in my garage.

Regards,

Lee...

Last edited by slidefighter; 03-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Welcome to the forum Lee,

I have not seen a service package for the Jags, and I'm familiar with FD. As to the chain tensioners, it's a matter of how much you're willing to spend up front. Many of us have only changed the secondaries because the primaries are not subjected to as high a temp. and are not likely to result in catastrophic engine failure. Chains do break, but that is not a common occurrence.

If you do a search for the various fluid topics you will find many hours of discussion as what is best in each instance.

Open the User CP at the top left of the forum page and you can add your car info to your signature.

Last edited by RJ237; 03-05-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add word
Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Great answer RJ---thanks! BTW, I just edited my original post with a little more info. I'm seeing more and more that relates to my situation on the Forum which will hopefully mean that I will have to bother people less and less.

In truth my XK8 purred like a kitten all the way from Louisiana to coastal South Carolina yesterday. It literally gobbled up the miles along the way---what a great road car. Anyway, it turned 54,000 on the drive home and sounds as smooth as a sewing machine starting up and idling. Made a wonderful howl too when I had to nail it a couple of times to get out of the way semi-out-of-control 18 wheelers!

Anyway, it doesn't actually sound like it needs anything but I'm leaning toward taking your advice and at least getting the secondaries replaced.

And yes, with your Spyder, you would be familiar with FD! Love my Coupe! It's a hard call already with these two in the stable alongside each other, isn't it?!

Thanks

Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Sounds nice. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Welcome Lee,

I'll reply to your question in post in Andy *** thtead. I don't like to change the subject in the middle of a thread and if you have question on a different subject please start a new thread.

Now your question is what is the A drum. It is a part in the zf5hp25 transmission that is in the xk8 from 97 to 02 or 03, and the xj8 from 98 to 02. I might be off on the exact years. The xkr and the xjr have different transmissions
The drum has a tendency to fail. You can do a searh on A drum and get more info but here is a link to a recent post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-drum-174373/

You mentioned a supercharger. If you have a supercharger you have a xkr not a xk8.

Happy motoring, Bob

Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM

BobRoy: Thanks for your very helpful response. You are right, I must have an XKR after all, which also apparently means I also have the Mercedes Benz W5A580 5G-Tronic transmission and not the ZF5hp25. From what I read they are a little less finicky than the ZF.

Anyway, the thing I can't figure out is why doesn't everyone have one of these cars? I bought it for my wife and now that she's driven it (once, so far) she really likes it too! I don't see her Jeep getting quite so much love and affection after this.

Lee...

Old 03-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi Lee,
Welcome and congratulations on the new Cat. XKR Coupes seem to be quite rare on your side of the pond.

I agree with changing all the fluids as you'll then have a baseline, and the Mercedes transmission is much more robust than the 5HP24 - certainly, there is very little on the forum other than treating to new fluid at reasonable intervals.

No #1 priority must be to check the secondary tensioners. They can and do kill motors. If you don't have documentary evidence that they have been replaced, then assume that they haven't.

Easiest way to check is to lift the RHS cam cover and take a look. If they're not the metal-bodied type then get them changed.

Ideally, the primaries should also be done but these are much less likely to cause engine failure. If you do go for the full monty, there has been some confusion with the parts suppliers over the primary chain guides. SNG can help here, and plenty of good information recently on the forum if you decide to go that route.

And.. +1 on the pictures, please.

Enjoy!

Mike

Old 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks Michael---excellent and helpful information (which seems to be the standard around here!). Some driveway pix of mine are now posted; it's a handsome car I think, but then I'm a little biased already!

I'll get on the tensioners right away. Thanks for the advice.

Lee...