XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I expect more of the same?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I expect more of the same?

I'll start with the fact that I've had my '03 XK8 convertible for a bit more than a year now. I love how it looks, how it drives, how it feels.

The old joke about splitting time between the driver and the mechanic was pretty true this summer. Hydraulics for the top burst (yep, should have done the pressure fix discussed here, hadn't gotten to it). Several weeks in the shop. I had it for 2-3 weeks when the transmission went south. Along with the transmission one of the wheel sensors also crapped out, so when the transmission was rebuilt the error returned immediately (only showed up when making hard left turn, which happens on my mountain road drive home from the mechanic).
Basically I had the car for about 1/3 of the summer.
Last fall (in my first weeks of ownership) one of the oil hoses burst as I was coming down the mountain road. Now of course that sprayed oil all over the road and tires, so I had the fun of the ABS kicking on and off while the car swerved and skidded. I was fortunate not to hit anything or anybody, or to go over the edge of the gorge.
But that left me with some sense of foreboding - "what's next, and will it happen in a way and time that's potentially lethal?"

I have 97 K miles. The engine is running fine. Transmission was rebuilt by a reputable shop. Oil hoses were replaced. Top hydraulics were replaced. Top and paint are in great shape.

I know that with cars, anything can happen, but in the collective wisdom of JaguarForums, am I likely to have a bunch more costly repairs hit me in the coming year? Any more stuff that's likely to break or fry (other than usual maintenance, brakes, tires, etc)?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I hate to say it, but yes - more things can fail at anytime. It could be a sensor or a part like the compressor. But this could be on 'any' car from 2003 with 97K miles. Moving parts wear out and old parts just fall apart. With that said, you have a special car that puts a smile on your face whenever you drive it and if something goes wrong, just suck it up and fix it. Nobody wins in the car game- if its not one thing its another. My buddy has a 'reliable' Honda Odyssey mini-van, in one month he had to replace the steering rack, the a/c compressor, four new tires, balancing and wheel alignment. Ouch! Now he says his 'reliable' Camry front doors refuse to open using the key or the remote fob. Joy! He is not happy at all about his car ownership either. That's just how it goes in the car world.

The following users liked this post:
kesslari (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

You've got the big hits of transmission and convertible hoses out of the way and you're beyond the build years for plastic tensioner trouble.

It's a thirteen year old vehicle and things will wear out with time alone, not just mileage. This applies especially to rubber components. It could save some grief to be proactive with replacing cooling hoses if these look like originals.

Also a check on the front suspension. Best to do things like wishbone bushes at a convenient time rather than wait for a failure.

Graham

kesslari (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

The cooling system (plastic expansion tank, plastic coolant outlet duct with thermostat, and various hoses) are always lurking and looking to bite us. So keep your eyes peeled and your nose clear for traces and smells of leaking coolant....

kesslari (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by kesslari
Along with the transmission one of the wheel sensors also crapped out, so when the transmission was rebuilt the error returned immediately
Was it the reluctor "ABS" ring per chance? It is a major input into the transmission control, and gives out lots of messages. Jut curious.

Originally Posted by kesslari
But that left me with some sense of foreboding - "what's next, and will it happen in a way and time that's potentially lethal?"
Speaking in general, I divide problems into 2 categories: the ones that leave you stranded, and the ones that don't.

My suspicion is that there will be lots of those second kind in your future, over time. We are all dealing with those, and with this forum, can typically deal with them fairly inexpensively. Time is another matter...

For the first kind, you seem to have covered some already. As already pointed out, I would focus on the cooling system. The whole thermostat tower assembly is fairly inexpensive (~$100) and fairly easy to replace. It contains the thermostat, sensor, pipes and o-rings. Radiator hoses can be on your list, to. Last, I would direct some attention towards the fuel system. Replace the filter for sure, maybe even run some injector cleaner.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck, keep us posted.

kesslari (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, all. Very helpful.
I'm off the ledge now...