XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell the XKR or buy a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I sell the XKR or buy a warranty?

I have a '01 XKR with 62k miles. My extended warranty just expired. The total repairs paid out by the warranty company over the warranty period were over $18k! So the $2800 I paid CarMax for the initial extended warranty was well spent. Taking into account the abysmal repair history of this car there's no way I'm keeping this car without another extended warranty. Another full 3yr 36k mile exclusionary warranty with a $100 deductable costs $5600.

Also the seat motor is not working and the computer says it's getting only 6mpg, so I may need to at least fix the seat before it will pass warranty inspection. I really enjoy the car so my thinking is that $5600 (plus most likely a bunch of deductables) isn't a lot to have it for another 36,000 miles. Or is it?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Several comments:

A 12 year old Jaguar is best owned by a hobby mechanic.

Surly you have fixed almost everything for the mentioned $18k

$5600 is ridiculous!

Badkitty posted a great quote recently that truly applies to these cars:

"I have come to understand that owning a Jag is like owning a horse. There's no joy in it unless you love taking care of it."

Old 12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess another $2800 warranty from Carmax is out of the question.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
I guess another $2800 warranty from Carmax is out of the question.
I wish. MaxCare was great. The ONLY company I can find that covers a supercharged jag, i.e. XKR that old is Auto Advantage Inc.

Penn Fed has an exclusionary one that even covers Vipers (my next most likely choice) for $1500 but they won't touch a Jag.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18k??...i say sell as fast as you can and go for the viper..i would get a gen 3,2003 and up...as soon as i get mine running well enough to sell(if i ever do),i will never buy another...honestly i dont see how this company stay in business...its the worst reliability ive ever seen in an automobile and ive owned plenty of high end cars..if you have to have a car similar to this i would buy a BMW 650..i nkow they are expensive to maintain too but dont have near the failure rate of these cars..the reason i bought the xk8 was because i always wanted one..well ive had my fill..ive only been able to drive it 4k or so..keep in mind this is only my opinion,plus personal experience...

Last edited by bigvx5; 12-26-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default bigvx5

"i will never buy another...honestly i dont see how this company stay in business...its the worst reliability ive ever seen in an automobile"

Sorry to hear that,,, Unfortunately, there are times where the Car is not right for the Driver and times when the Driver is not right for the Car...

Fortunately that seems to be FEW AND FAR BETWEEN at least that is what most Owners say in their reveiws,,, Take a Peak... Maybe in your case the previous Owners did not give the car the love that it needed and deserved... The recent CNBC Documenty about BMW, stated that their engineers (BMW's) even agreed that they in some cases Over-Engineered their cars and that the reliability factor has become a concern...Full Disclosure I have a 5 series and love it (actually the daughter does) and I just found out today my youngest daughter just took over my Lexus, so its back to the Avalon,,, Just sold the 1995 XJ6 with 141,000 miles Not one problem ever with that.

Japanese cars Worry free but "No Fun To Drive and No Head Turning" IMHO

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Jaguar-XKR-2005/user-reviews/

Jaguar XKR Owner Reviews
Average Overall Rating:

Own or Drive this Vehicle? Write a Review
  • Exterior Styling:
  • Interior Comfort:
  • Performance:
  • Quality:

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 12-26-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 PM

competition is fierce in the auto industry,especially in the luxury market...so its true that all of them are trying to one up the competition..i work at the manufactuing plant for BMW and the quality control there is second to none....jaguar has a diagnostic system in place for that reason,to help solve the problem..but after opening the checkbook the problem still exist..maybe im just spouting off because im having so many troubles getting this thing right...im just trying to get my car to a place where i can sell it and get half of what i payed for it less than two years ago...i always wanted an XK8..now i have one and its been a total nightmare..i get nothing but compliments when i have been able to drive it,but its doing me no good sitting in the garage...i cant really afford to take it to dealer or jaguar mechanic to figure out the four or five faults its throwing on the diagnostic system..so i come here to get as much help as possible...sorry im ranting on this post,but i need help in this worst way without throwing thousands of dollors away and the problems still not being solved...

Last edited by bigvx5; 12-26-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

How about posting the codes that are occurring, maybe we can help.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by test point
How about posting the codes that are occurring, maybe we can help.
There's no lights on. How do I get the codes?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

I was responding to bigvx5 and his reference to codes. If you do not have a CEL then there may not be codes stored. Your local Advance/O'Rilley/Autozone auto parts store will read the codes for free.

I did respond to you 6 mpg issue in the other thread. If that is accurate you may already have destroyed your cats. No codes, it really needs to be checked out.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

To mention, my 2000 XKR has been very reliable. I did the tensioners and such and just religiously perform the PM items on the dot. I've gotten fantastic reliability out of cars with bad reputations because of that strict adherence to preventative maintenance schedules. Some have been more needy, but still reliable.

One thing with older cars is that if you pay someone to fix each little thing that breaks, it stacks up. I've saved over $4k on the Jaguar, $5k on work on the big Audi, $2k on the little one and tons more on the BMW(740i not in sig for some reason) and bikes. I honestly have spent between $1500 and $2500 to maintain and repair 4 cars and 2 bikes this year, and it was the new to me so I fix crap the previous owner let slide year for 3 of the cars(Audis and Jaguar).

If you don't do things yourself, the warranty may be a good idea, otherwise, many of us get by just fine without it.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

EFC;

We could give you much more informed advice if you tell us what was covered under the $18K of warranty work.

If that work addressed the major issues of the early XKR's, ie timing chain tensioners, Nikasil cylinder liners, Mercedes 5 speed transmission, front end bushings, etc. then you may have a keeper that has hit a temporary and typical maintenance snag.

If not then we have a different discussion.

What is your average annual mileage?

That is part of the calculation about keeping or selling it too.

Sticking to one thread makes it easier to follow as well...

cheers,

jj

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM

will do test point...i will have to get my friend to bring over his code reader because the car barely moves forward..not slipping but like theres nothing there..i assume this is because of trans fault...i will start another post when i get codes hopefully tomorrow so i can stop highjacking this guys post...