Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick and tired

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Angry Sick and tired

Well two and half weeks after first having the abs control module rebuilt and reinstalled (I'd already cleaned the sensors to no avail), then removed and replaced, and then having the fittings on the hydraulic hoses replaced and tightened (for the 15th time) after having purchased and installed the pressure relief valve, I had enjoyed a brief period of no abs/traction control warning lights and/or leaking from the hydraulic hoses from the convertible assembly in the driver footwell or the overhead grill. And then, within 24 hours of each other, both problems re-appeared, a slight leak in the footwell, the abs/traction control light, first, occasionally coming on and now constantly coming on after starting the car and driving a few feet. I am sick and tired, frustrated, and just plain pissed that it's so much effort to keep this beautiful car running without hitches. The cliches about the service required to keep English cars on the road without problems are all true. I feel like saying, "Anybody want a mint condition 2002 XKR, complete with all the usual Jaguar problems?"

Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I had issues with this but has them repaired. I think there might something else causing these issues - too much presure in your lines, etc.

If you fix a problem and it reappears there is something else that is causing it. You are really only treating the symptom; you need to find the root cause.

Good luck - don't give up!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

What DTC is logged in the ABS module?????

Repairing the module will NOT fix a faulty wheel speed harness or other sensor in the system.

bob gauff

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have a code reader/resetter? There should be a code or codes telling you what is causing the ABS/traction control warnings to come on.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Tberg,

On the sensor/wiring issue that Motorcarman mentioned ...

This one is common and easy to miss. There is a published procedure for measuring the resistance of each wheel sensor and its wiring. 2k ohms on older cars, 1k ohm on later cars is the expected value (don't know the MY where it changes). But, the procedure as described gives a static measurement ... one with the steering sitting in a single position only. In fact, steering position isn't mentioned.

Trouble is, even if the static readings look good, a fault can show up as the steering is moved through its full range of travel (which causes connectors to be stressed, or can cause a broken wire in a harness section to make and lose contact).

Best way to catch it, IMO, is to use an analog ohm meter on each of the two front sensor circuits, and watch for a blip in the ohm reading as the steering is moved lock to lock. If the needle on the meter jumps, you've found your trouble, or at least one of your troubles.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
having the fittings on the hydraulic hoses replaced and tightened (for the 15th time) after having purchased and installed the pressure relief valve, I had enjoyed a brief period of no abs/traction control warning lights and/or leaking from the hydraulic hoses from the convertible assembly in the driver footwell or the overhead grill. And then, within 24 hours of each other, both problems re-appeared, a slight leak in the footwell
What do you mean by replacing the "fittings on the hydraulic hoses"? Were the hydraulic lines replaced?

Jack

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that abs traction control to me is a transmission issue. I dont think its the abs module in most cases. these cars are frustrating but they are beautiful when they are running right. you changed all of the wheel sensors and abs module, thats a good thing, now lets find out whats wrong with the car. we should start by looking at the transmission make sure its not giving us problems

Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe a faulty brake pedal switch can cause the ABS/Trac error also. From what I 've read on the roof problem the only real fix is line replacement.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, I,m on my third XK probably driven a quarter of a million miles in all 3, had this ABS problem on all of them, and the problem has always been the cable to one of the front wheel sensors due to flexing, as other members have pointed out in previous posts.But thats just "Me"
Suggest you put a digital multimeter on ohm setting across the connector located under the bonnet, should read 1-2 k ohms depending on year cut the 2 cable ties on upper wisbone and wiggle the cable, if the reading on meter jumps all over the place then cables fu##d. If theres a high resistance on cable and sensor resistance is normal then cables still fu###d

Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by itspec60
I believe a faulty brake pedal switch can cause the ABS/Trac error also. From what I 've read on the roof problem the only real fix is line replacement.
That very senario you describe with the brake pedal switch happened to me. Had to run a full computer diagnostic thru my indy shop's computer scan to find it though.