XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side rubbing strips, not needing "know how" but like some modern opinions

Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default side rubbing strips, not needing "know how" but like some modern opinions

I'm torn between removing them or leaving them. I know the look is "dated" but just cuz its said to be "dated" dosent mean they're ugly. I mean some of the modern changes, kinda irk me, like all the interior chrome, and the added lower skirts. and oh that navi. UGH. So newer is always prettier.
But when makers dropped then, was it really "styling" or just a penny pinch?

So anyways what's your guys thoughts on them, since we do have the option for removing.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I was never a lover of side strips. On some cars, there placement is good to help prevent dings. I removed mine. I like it better that way. Just my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails side rubbing strips, not needing "know how" but like some modern opinions-img_1405.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Julian Black (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by johns55
I was never a lover of side strips. On some cars, there placement is good to help prevent dings. I removed mine. I like it better that way. Just my opinion.
Cool brother, thats what I'm looking for, just opinions. I dig your English racing green!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 PM

another thing I liked in the older years, was those headrest-less seats. Losing those was a change for worse too.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Black
I'm torn between removing them or leaving them. I know the look is "dated" but just cuz its said to be "dated" dosent mean they're ugly. I mean some of the modern changes, kinda irk me, like all the interior chrome, and the added lower skirts. and oh that navi. UGH. So newer is always prettier.
But when makers dropped then, was it really "styling" or just a penny pinch?

So anyways what's your guys thoughts on them, since we do have the option for removing.
They are ugly. They break up the lines on a beautiful body, not in a good way. But if you make a lot of trips to the Walmart parking lot, I would keep them

Julian Black (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hm has a point. I park in handicap spot and still get door dings.

Re the guards- How could you get them off without a big deal ? The paint is probably faded from the sun, how did they attach-will you have rivet holes to deal with Julian ?

I guess everything is a trade off. I've never seen an XK8 with the guards so it's hard for me to get beyond all the door dings you're in for.

John

Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Hm has a point. I park in handicap spot and still get door dings.

Re the guards- How could you get them off without a big deal ? The paint is probably faded from the sun, how did they attach-will you have rivet holes to deal with Julian ?

I guess everything is a trade off. I've never seen an XK8 with the guards so it's hard for me to get beyond all the door dings you're in for.

John
They are just double sided taped on, and factory applied after paint. They come off with trim removal tools, and some compound and clay work to even out paint.
That's funny about Wal-Mart!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

I had a 2001 Coupe with the strips and a 2005 Coupe without them.

What struck me immediately with the earlier model was the strips are in the wrong place to prevent dings!

I think Jaguar must eventually have realised this and dropping them was more enlightenment than design.

Graham

Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I had a 2001 Coupe with the strips and a 2005 Coupe without them.

What struck me immediately with the earlier model was the strips are in the wrong place to prevent dings!

I think Jaguar must eventually have realised this and dropping them was more enlightenment than design.

Graham
LOL, I noticed this too. they are lower than the bulge of the door! Hmm, what committee did that nugget slip by.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

I removed them a few years ago. They were not easy to get off but I think the "upgrade for me" was worth it.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 AM

yeah just ripped them suckas off today. Couple plastic trim tools sliced right threw that tape. still cleaning off tape with lacquer thinner. That is the real chore. Waiting for my interior alloy trims from UK. Not chrome, but nice polished aluminum bits.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:55 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

They may be dated but they are part of what makes the car what it is. In few years time when hopefully they may actually be worth something, you will have wished that you kept them because originality will be key to their value. Just my opinion, other opinions may vary

Old 12-20-2016, 03:29 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
They may be dated but they are part of what makes the car what it is. In few years time when hopefully they may actually be worth something, you will have wished that you kept them because originality will be key to their value. Just my opinion, other opinions may vary

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Lets face it, the Jag looks far, far better with the strips removed. If I ever have to sell mine, (not that I plan to), then the new owner can have the old side strips. Hey, I'll even throw in a free roll of double sided tape and if really wanted, the old fashioned tape deck that I removed also...

:-)

Side strips removed!!!

Julian Black (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 01:20 PM

That was exactly my self argument. That the "style" would come back, everything does. But what I did want was a 2004, So the other aesthetic trims I've also upgraded from my 2003, and yeah I used polished alloy, like original, not tacky retrofit chrome. Seems 2004 cars are very hard to find, And I was so color picky, had to be Dove grey interior, silver exterior. I didn't like the exterior body additions of the 2005 and 2006, so those were a no go. They starting taking the look too far away from the XK-E that inspired the car.

I did keep the strips, and easily replaceable. As well as kept the plastic gear surround, so that alloy bit and instrument rings can all be popped out to make the car back to 2003 look.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

They may be dated but they are part of what makes the car what it is.
How can they be part of what makes the car what it is when the '04 - '06 model years never had them?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Thats fine, but you can be certain that if they ever do become true classics then whatever they were fitted with, if they haven't got it ,the value will plummet

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts

mine w/o strips just because it came that way...otherwise I would live them on.

Last edited by SirJohn; 12-21-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Thats fine, but you can be certain that if they ever do become true classics then whatever they were fitted with, if they haven't got it ,the value will plummet
Plummet is a rather strong word for a strip of plastic that can be bought (used) and refitted for very little money... now if the MOTOR was not original then okay...

I do plan on taking mine off one of these days but haven't gotten around to it... I'll post pics when I do