XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius Starmate8 in an XK8 - SAT Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb Sirius Starmate8 in an XK8 - SAT Radio

Thought I would post some pictures of some of my progress. I just installed a new Sirius Starmate8 in my 2004 XK8. The install wasn't really hard, but it was time consuming, and required a lot of disassembly.

First the rear view, you can see the slim magnetic antenna is very non-obtrusive, and I mounted it just behind the 3rd brake light. I cut a channel in the foam rubber under the light for the wire, and routed the antenna wire along side the brake wiring; through the hole for the brake light power wires, through the boot lid, out the grommet at the right hinge. Then behind the fuel tank cover and out an existing hole to the right of the rear vent holes in the rear deck-- taped the wire down under the rear deck felt, then down the right side behind the rear speaker facia and under the rear seat. Be careful to make sure the wire it below the convertible top mechanism so it won't get bound and cut. Under the seat, I combined the wire with the wiring harness going to the center console using an ample supply of nylon wire ties.

In the front, I pulled the radio head unit, and tied the FM modulator output to the FM modulator adapter that connects directly into the radio antenna connection. For power, I tied directly into the cigar lighter power in the center console since it is switched power. You will also need an after market 5V adapter for the Starmate8. (It's not 12 volt).

I mounted the Starmate itself using a ProFit mounting plate specifically for the XK8. This offers a good view of the unit from the Driver's position. It is out of the way of the passenger, and it allows the glove box to open without issue. It is close to the shifter and radio buttons, but I preferred not to drill any holes in my dash for mounting.

Parts needed:
SST8V1 - Starmate8 satellite radio and cradle
FMDA25 - FM Direct Adapter
5 volt adapter - From EDO Supply in San Jose, CA (eBay)
JG-51-97 - ProFit mount for Jaguar XK8

You can also note in the pictures: XKR style rear spoiler, the amber turn signal bulbs have been replaced with chrome for a more "Euro" look, and the leather (w/chrome growler) XKE style gear shift knob to replace the mis-matched color of the stock knob.

Hope this helps someone! Mark

Attached Thumbnails Sirius Starmate8 in an XK8 - SAT Radio-xk8-rear.jpg   Sirius Starmate8 in an XK8 - SAT Radio-xk8-sat.jpg  

Last edited by Italianguy63; 02-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (03-09-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did about the same thing on my XKR yesterday. I put the Sirius in the arm rest. Did you try to put the antenna in the back near the GPS antenna to see how that worked? I am currently experimenting with this as I would prefer to have it mounted inside the car.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't. I kind of like it on the rear deck. My understanding is they (magnet mount ant.) works best on a metal surface that helps reflect signal. Also, it can't receive signal through metal (hence not good inside on a coupe). I kind of bet, if you wanted to keep it hidden... you could put it on the deck in a covertible below the rear window. Even with the top folded down on top of it-- I bet it would still work. MC

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I put it next to the GPS in the rear deck. With the top up I got about 2 bars on the Sirius. With the top down it decreased to about 1 bar. I stuck it to the trunk where you put yours and got about 3 bars. I am going to see how it works in the rear deck, if I loose the signal a lot, while driving around, I may move it to the dash area. Maybe put it on the passenger side near the front of the window. I have a small round metal plate that can be Velcro-ed there and the magnetic antenna will stick to it. I was also thinking of putting it on the inside corner of my rear window. Raising and lowering the top should not interfere with the wire that much.

Bill

Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Four years ago I installed a sat radio in my Ford Explorer. The small antenna was placed on the center dash near the window with the coax routed along the window and down the door jam, then into the dash. The sat radio is located in the dash with controls interfacing into the factory radio.
I have great reception and the only lost signals have been where LOS is blocked such as in the mountains or in forests with tall and dense trees.