Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spare key fobs

hi all.

Recently (November 2016) acquired my first Jag, a Pacific Blue XK8 coupe with ivory leather. Absolutely superb looking car.

It came with 2 keys but just one fob.

What's the easiest way of getting a spare fob? Straight to a Jag dealer or are there better cost alternatives. I'll hopefully never need a spare but I'd rather get one and not need it than be sitting there wishing I had done!

Cheers
steve

Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can pass on to you what I was told.......buy on Ebay but make sure the serial number on the fob matches yours. Now programming that new fob is an endless discussion here !! I have two that I need to program in the spring and half a dozen different sets of instructions on how to do it !! All from this site so some trial and error needed. How many times to push each button. Door opened. Door closed. You will figure it out and lots of good people here to help.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Year is important, here. the later cars can use the $10 Ford Fobs or the "Flip Key" fobs.

The Early cars need the jag specific Fob

Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The fob depends on model year and country, so please post that information for the most specific help.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Should have said it's a 2001 car.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalgravesteve
hi all.

Recently (November 2016) acquired my first Jag .....
Welcome to the forum Steve,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Most owners have found that if you sacrifice a chicken, stand on one leg with the drivers door open, do three complete left hand turns on one leg within 3 minutes (but not more than 4), turn on the ignition and pull the flasher stalk towards you quickly twice (but not too quickly) and press at least five buttons on at least two fobs before you lose the will to live, you will be rewarded with success.

Best of luck !!

The following users liked this post:
CRHINO (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalgravesteve
Should have said it's a 2001 car.
And in what country? Key fobs have different frequencies depending on country.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
And in what country? Key fobs have different frequencies depending on country.
UK.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Most owners have found that if you sacrifice a chicken, stand on one leg with the drivers door open, do three complete left hand turns on one leg within 3 minutes (but not more than 4), turn on the ignition and pull the flasher stalk towards you quickly twice (but not too quickly) and press at least five buttons on at least two fobs before you lose the will to live, you will be rewarded with success.

Best of luck !!
many thanks. I have 6 available chickens. Does the colour of plumage matter? I've got 3 speckled brown ones so would rather sacrifice one of those than the only white one I have.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Speckled brown should be OK - it's the standing on one leg that seems to be the stumbling block for many owners.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

FOB's with the O shaped open and D shaped lock buttons are "ford compatible".

Read the FCC number on the back and type it into an E-bay search to see your options.

It took me forever to learn to program my FOB's, but now its easy. My mistake was I was turning the key to "run" instead of just "accessory". That and extra the remote I bought had the wrong battery in it - too thin.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
FOB's with the O shaped open and D shaped lock buttons are "ford compatible".

Read the FCC number on the back and type it into an E-bay search to see your options.

It took me forever to learn to program my FOB's, but now its easy. My mistake was I was turning the key to "run" instead of just "accessory". That and extra the remote I bought had the wrong battery in it - too thin.
just bought one on eBay. The chickens day's are numbered.

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (02-13-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Ok an update.

My "new" fob arrived. A used one off eBay. Right path number. Good start.

Prepared 6 chickens for potential sacrificial offering.

got in car with existing remote and key.

Put the turn ievet up (as though turning right) and pull the lever at the same time into the flash position and hold it there.

Turn ignition key to 1st position (accessories)

flash the lights 4/5 times in 3/4 seconds whilst keeping lever up in the turn right position.

I wss was rewarded with a red light from the centre console next to the gear stick. Press the 4 fob buttons in turn and each press caused a red light at the gear stick!

Switch off ignition get out of car. Check new fob is working. YES!!

5 minute job! Try to lock car with the original fob. DOESNT WORK!

Bugger.

So, back in the car. Same sequence. Press the buttons on the original remote. It works again! The new used one doesn't though! The penny drops, I sacrifice a chicken for good measure and then go through the sequence again and press the fob buttons on both fobs whilst I've got the programming live.

YES!!!! Both fobs work! Go back into house, having locked the car up, to put the spare key on a key ring with the new fob. How did I manage to do that???
hanging on the spare key ring is a remote fob, not a second key!! I needed a key not a bloody fob! So I then had to get back in the car, and go through the whole sequence again as the 3rd fob didn't work anymore. I now have three working remote fobs and one key !! I can only assume that getting a spare key (2 now!) will be simple but where can I get a blank with the jag logo on it?

Last edited by Chalgravesteve; 02-17-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Good call on the chickens.

I'm confused, you started with 2 keys and one fob but now have 1 key and 3 fobs?

Anyway, the keys are a real PITA. They are called tibbe keys and have a transponder chip in them. Do a search here or on google for "jaguar xk8 tibbe key" and you'll see what your options are.

Basically, as I understand, getting a blank is easy. Getting a blank with a transponder is eay. Finding someone to cut it is challenging. I believe an IDS/Mongoose/VCM device is required to enroll the transponder to the car.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dsd
Good call on the chickens.

I'm confused, you started with 2 keys and one fob but now have 1 key and 3 fobs?

Anyway, the keys are a real PITA. They are called tibbe keys and have a transponder chip in them. Do a search here or on google for "jaguar xk8 tibbe key" and you'll see what your options are.

Basically, as I understand, getting a blank is easy. Getting a blank with a transponder is eay. Finding someone to cut it is challenging. I believe an IDS/Mongoose/VCM device is required to enroll the transponder to the car.
ive confused myself! I clearly had 2 fobs and 1 key when I bought it. I use the key and one fob and hung the other up as a spare. I knew I needed to get the other half so I had a complete set as spares.

I didnt check what was hanging up as a spare before I ordered the fob I relied on my memory! Clearly a mistake!

So asi now have three fobs and1 key I might as well get 2 spare keys instead of one.

After all this I'll probably never need them either! Lol

Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You got a "bum steer", as we say here in the Colonies. This has nothing to do with one's posterior or cattle, it alludes to poor advice. You need to break an egg before sacrificing the chicken (everyone knows the egg came first), and then stand on your southernmost leg (just specifying one is not good enough)before beginning your turns. I doubt you will want 2 more keys, as I believe they will turn-out to be more expensive than you think. A spare key that would only open the trunk (boot) was part of my car purchase. It was identical to the original, but would not unlock or start the car. No locksmiths that I contacted (a dozen at least) could program the key. All smiths and several Indy shops said the dealer had to do it. I took it to the dealership, where they determined that it had a transponder and was programmable. I picked-up a couple of nice fobs/remotes cheaply on eBay and had them program them as well (1999 XJ8 - was told they were not owner programmable). Cost = $142, but it was worth the peace of mind to have an extra working key and extra fobs. Try the egg, I think you will be pleased!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If your in the UK and want a spare key go to Timpsons, they will get a new key blank, program it on the car for you for about £95

Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Mike,

Thanks so much! I'll jump in the Jag and drive right over....

Billy Clyde in Houston