XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of prices and such....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Speaking of prices and such....

So I follow used XK's from auctions to craigs list to used car lots. Along with what I read here I have come to realize there no common ground to breakdowns nor pricing.

I say this because #1, I have owned numerious XJ's and now my XK and have had less than 1/3rd of the problems other have had. #2, mileage doesnt matter as I have seen cars with 40K have issues that 100K mile cars still havent had. Tensioners come to mind first and foremost. I do think where the car is located plays a huge part. #3, pricing is all over the place, especially on XK's so you can throw the book out on that.

This last comment is based on the 97 Convertible on Ebay with 9000 miles on it but if I remember it was already bid over 13K. A 97 convertible here in AZ with average miles is about a 7K car. So is that one worth double ? I mean you still need to do the tensioners, water pump, thermostat and given the amount of drive time I bet the fuel pumps goes out in the near future.

Now on the other hand that very nice looking XKR with 177K on is over 8K and might be worth it but I believe the current owner didnt know a think about its past history so have all the issues been fixed ?

My R has 107K on it and give the post I read about superchargers going back at 100K am I living on borrowed time ?

Just some thoughts and comments....... please dont take this the wrong way just some thoughts.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Pricing on used XK8/XKR is highly sensitive to location. For example the ones I see advertised in JWM over in the UK are much more expensive on average than those I have seen over here. I think it is difficult to figure used prices on these types of vehicles. I have occasionally seen some advertised at what I consider to be ridiculously cheap prices but those are probably owners that have had bad experiences and just want to dump as quickly as possible and move on.

The other thing I have noticed is that the next generation XK is not dropping nearly as quickly as our generation. Back in 2008 when I was looking around, my budget allowed me to consider 3-4 year old XKR's and 1-2 year old XK8. That would not be the case today if I was looking for a next-gen XK.

Doug

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

From my search for my next one I agree with you.
  • Prices are inconsistent across the country with respect to mileage.
  • Car history is hard to come by since most of the ones on the market are at dealers and come in via auctions
  • As we've seen here many times, low mileage does not mean extra special
So much emotion drives the purchase of these that research and checklists take a back seat.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The other thing I have noticed is that the next generation XK is not dropping nearly as quickly as our generation. Back in 2008 when I was looking around, my budget allowed me to consider 3-4 year old XKR's and 1-2 year old XK8. That would not be the case today if I was looking for a next-gen XK.

Doug
Personally, I'd rather have our generation, anyway. Newer is nice, but I think this generation really put together the looks. For me, it's akin to the '55-'57 Chevy. Just something about that generation. Guess I'm talkin' 'bout my generation.