XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default spring spacers?

I have had my 2001 XKR for about a month and a half now. It has quite a few mods and I am happy with most. One problem I noticed in the service history is that the front tires (tyres) cup out (feather) on the inside of the fronts quickly. The car is lowered and a note I saw in the service history says that "the front alignment adjustment is at its limit and cannot completely adjust for these springs". Are there any spring spacers that might allow me to shim the front up a half inch so I can get better adjustment on the front? Tires are expensive. Oh, I have BBS 20" wheels and the brakes off a Silverstone.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I would have thought that lowering springs would give you negative camber so your tires would wear more on the inside?

Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, that's what I said, inside.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

I'm guessing then you have negative camber? There is no camber adjustment on the front suspension. Camber is set by height of the suspension. Worn coil springs and bad top shock mounts are the usual culprits. Either of these problems would be made worse by lowering the front.

Standard height should be 15.75 in the front measured from the center of the wheel cap to the bottom of the apex of the fender well.

My springs sagged to where the front end was down 1.75" and I ate a set of front tires VERY quickly. New top shock mount and new coils stopped the problem. Will admit it looked cool lowered like that.

Other folks have lowered their cars. Someone will chime in with their experience and hopefully some tips.