Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter or solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Starter or solenoid?

98 XK8 Coupe
Been sitting all winter due to excess snow and ice mostly but also because of they're oversalting the roads in a big way.

Had a thaw recently, battery is dead so I boosted it. Power comes on, everything works.. yay... attempt to start, little click and then fail. Tried again and another little click and fail. Let the battery charge a bit longer, again click and fail.

I was having problems with starting in the fall when the weather was cooler. After letting the engine run for a bit then parking to do my errands, it would easily start again. Also during the summer after a week or more sit. By problems I mean it stressed a bit to spring to life, took a little more coaxing than it probably should have.

Is my problem the starter or the solenoid or something else altogether? How much am I looking to replace the part?

Jared

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Before tearing the starter apart you need to verify that you have a good battery. Leaving a battery discharged is the fastest way to permanently kill it.

Measure the voltage while attempting to engage the starter. If it is below 11v under load you need a new battery.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Sounds like a plan. How do I do that on a car?

I should mention I was using a 500amp booster pack rather than another car... stupid me backed the car in.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a battery issue to me also, get that squared away before digging deeper. You can try checking with a multimeter. Or most chain auto parts stores have a battery tester thay will put it under load.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 PM

I can tell you right now that the battery is uncharged. Lost it's charge just after Christmas. I haven't been able to get to it due to the excess snow covering it, drifting around it and freezing the doors shut. I'm hoping to take care of it at some point this weekend now that the snow is gone.

I'll grab a battery tester tomorrow morning and head over.

I just find it strange that when I attempted the boost, everything else had power... my guages, transmission, headlights, hazards, signals, radio etc... the only thing that wouldn't engage was the starting sequence. I turned the key to ignition, power flicked for a second as something clicked or popped and that was it. Power stayed on. Tried again, same thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

just find it strange that when I attempted the boost, everything else had power... my guages, transmission, headlights, hazards, signals, radio etc... the only thing that wouldn't engage was the starting sequence. I turned the key to ignition, power flicked for a second as something clicked or popped and that was it. Power stayed on. Tried again, same thing.
Yes it can seem illogical that everything else seems OK, but the amperage needed by a starter motor is so big it whacks the volts and really tests the battery. I had a similar situation with a Rover 75 with a 2.5 V6, I had everything like you, even the engine turned over, but it would not start. New battery cured it. I think modern car electronics are very sensitive to voltage, so a whacked battery supplying a started has much less volts, and the electronics dont like it.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Well I got myself a tester. Followed the instructions and the thing won't even turn on to give me a reading. Can't be a good sign.
I hooked up the fully charged booster and now I don't even get power to the car.

Are XK8's picky about new batteries or will a non OEM one work?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Battery was the issue. Had less than 2 volts. Replaced it. Car clicked, stuttered, stammered and eventually spat. Engine whirled and whistled then eventually yawned to life. I let it idle for a few minutes to get some heat, and then I experienced an experience I never want to experience again... Pirelli P-Zeros on fresh snow and slush. But the car is running. Thank you to everyone for your help!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 6,266 Likes on 5,463 Posts

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Me too, but you could have posted some video of your snow drifting XK8. LOL

Next winter, disconnect the batt, or leave it on trickle charge.

IMHO, a batt is a batt, providing it meets the specs for the vehicle or better re, ah and cold cranking then it should get you running.

Unless I am mistaken, Jaguar do not make batteries.

Thermo is your man for this, he knows more about this field than I ever will.