Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Steering Column

Hi guys,

I have problems with my reach motor, I suspect the cable and so I am trying to remove the motor to have a look. Very tight for space up in there and I was wondering if I could undo a couple of bolts and drop the column assembly to gain better access? Have any of you done this and could you please tell me what I have to do. Have already checked out the how to section and found a link on an XJ although column is same and relevant.

Please help.

Thank you.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Hi all,
I managed to remove the reach motor, took a bit of encouragement but it's out along with a nut and a bearing race that fell out! Good news is my reach motor cable is intact.

Really feel the need to drop the column down to have a look at where the nut and bearing came from, but cannot get to the two allen head bolts under instrument cluster. Have attached two pics, you can see there is a metal bracket right in front and in the way of the two bolts I want to get at! I have a reciprocating saw, but don't think that'll be a good move.

Has anyone dropped the column on a '03 XK8, and does anyone have any tips/instructions to perform this task in a way that it'll go back together again and look good!

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Steering Column-photo-2.jpg   Steering Column-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Davebc; 05-18-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: attached wrong pic
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Default Got it!

Did some poking around and a guy suggested getting the bolts from behind. Undid the brackets holding on wiring connections and then lots room for 13mm socket, undid those two plus two on bottom bracket and bolt at u-joint and presto column comes out!

Reach motor cable intact, I have the dreaded stripped thread in the nylon/plastic thing that attaches to the column and moves it in & out when the motor spins. Have heard a new column is in order, however the piece has two screws holding it on so maybe replaceable!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Been there, done that re: the stripped nylon nut. Made one from a piece of Delrin. Still working after a year or so. Not recommended for the faint of heart. You'll pretty much have no two pieces left together when disassembly is complete. Then you'll have to carve out the nylon nut on your own from a block of whatever you get your hands on.The bracket that saddles the nylon nut is fastened with shear bolts that can be a pain to remove but the potentially dangerous part is making certain that the bolts you use to replace them don't come loose and lock the shaft up inside the tube - especially while driving! I thought about doing a how-to back when I did it but had second thoughts when it came to that point.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 PM

I've been thinking about a fix for this issue, wonder if I could find (or make) a nut to fit the thread of the adjuster end and attach it to the stripped nylon nut somehow. This would give the threaded adjustment rod something to grab onto and also avoid the risk of removing the shear bolts.

Any thoughts or comments?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Side note, my reach motor cable is fine so I have two brand new reach cables if anyone is in need of one!