XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Controls

Have a 2002 XK8 that I'm having problems with the steering wheel controls, ie radio volume, horn, wheel tilt and extend/retract (don't know about cruise). I replaced the tilt motor and the problems began. I've checked fuses and relays, connections and looked for anything out of place to no avail. Would be very appreciative for any advice ir direction as to trouble shooting.
Thanks
Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Deeli, must be an open connection somewhere. Did you take the air bag or steering wheel off ? If yes, that (under airbag) is 1st place I'd look.

If no look at wires under lower cowl. Then pull airbag 2 check connections.

Hard reset ? Doubt it but stranger things have happened.

John

Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not remove the air bag or steering wheel...will continue to look under lower cowl then air bag,
Thanks

Originally Posted by Johnken
Deeli, must be an open connection somewhere. Did you take the air bag or steering wheel off ? If yes, that (under airbag) is 1st place I'd look.

If no look at wires under lower cowl. Then pull airbag 2 check connections.

Hard reset ? Doubt it but stranger things have happened.

John

Old 12-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well there are 2 connections under air bag. 1 for air bag, 1 for every other switch on steering wheel.

Look for wire loom coming out of steering column to center top of steering wheel. Maybe you can trace that back to an open connection under steering column or under valance pannel.

I can't imagine how the modular connection under air bag could unfasten by itself if you haven't been in there. It is locked and protected.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Just reread the issue. Tilt is separate from controls on steering wheel, except maybe a common power source. Refocus on fuses. Check for voltage on tilt switch. This switch sends a signal to BPM.

Tilt switch: I don't recall how many wires connectors to it but grab your voltmeter. One wire is 12volts ignition on. Probe for the 12 volts to see. As I think about it, this 12volts should come from a fuse. The 5 amp circuit that drives the tilt motors comes from Boston Processor Module. This switch sends the 12volts through 1 of 4 resistors depending on which direction you choose with toggle. That modified volt reading goes to BPM input port.

Something, I don't know what, translates digital signal from steering wheel controls into action. Someone else may recall that, it'll help you ID commonality.

Last edited by Johnken; 12-26-2016 at 11:57 AM.