XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel position memory faulty

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Steering wheel position memory faulty

The mirrors and seat position seem fine, but the steering wheel fails to return to the set memory position. It drops to near the bottom of the range, lower than the set location. In and out stays put, but my set position there is all the way in, so it doesn't need to move.

If I repeatedly push the button to recall the memorized position, eventually the wheel gets there, a bit at a time.

Any thoughts on cause or repair?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnham
The mirrors and seat position seem fine, but the steering wheel fails to return to the set memory position. It drops to near the bottom of the range, lower than the set location. In and out stays put, but my set position there is all the way in, so it doesn't need to move.

If I repeatedly push the button to recall the memorized position, eventually the wheel gets there, a bit at a time.

Any thoughts on cause or repair?
Very similar to my old issue. There is a wire snip solution fixed it for me. Search "a different tilt motor solution" will turn it up but from memory it is blue/white wire at the tilt motor under steering column, just needs to be cut, no downside.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM

I did do that mod, Bax. Worked fine for my earlier issue, which was somewhat different than this. In that case, the wheel wouldn't move far enough to reach the memorized position.

Now, it moves past the memorized position.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default There are severl threads dealing with this problem

Originally Posted by Burnham
I did do that mod, Bax. Worked fine for my earlier issue, which was somewhat different than this. In that case, the wheel wouldn't move far enough to reach the memorized position.

Now, it moves past the memorized position.

Here's one such thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-faq-53768/

Old 10-20-2017, 05:22 PM

I did that repair as well, before the wire snip...twice...did not have success.

Yesterday after a few start/stop cycles on a trip to town on a variety of errands, the wheel started behaving correctly. I dunno.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:21 PM

Well.

Basically, ever since I made my original post, the damn steering wheel position memory has worked as intended.

I have to assume this means the lovely Jag XKR is a sentient being, monitors my internet activity here, and does not want me to snip any more wires, or pull and mess with any more $625 electric motor/gear drives.

Thanks, all.