XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still looking!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Still looking!!!!!

Hi guys, I'm still looking for that JAG. I found one I like. The hardest thing to find out about these cars is any info about CAM CHAIN TENSIONER REPLACEMENT!!!!!!! THEY SAY THEY HAVE HAD ALL WORK DONE AT THE DEALER. But no one knows anything about the TENSIONERS. And I'm talking about cars w/ 90,000 miles on them.
The one guy I did find that had it done said if they haven't had the tensioners changed....RUN, DON'T WALK....RUN from that car.
But......the car I found (2000 loaded) has about 60,000 miles. Second owner. First owner was a lease(2 yrs).
She called the DEALER for me, and they said they can adjust the tensioners now. And not have to replace them????????????
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

BS

There is no adjustment. They fail because the plastic housings cracks and release oil pressure leaving the chain loose or the plastic 'shoe' cracks and breaks off leaving the chain loose or potentially breaking the chain. Loose chains skip sprocket teeth and bend valves.

Personally, I would seize the opportunity to publically embarrass the person who told you that.

If the car is running well you can certainly get it to a shop for replacement without damage.

If you have an owner that has had the car for a number of years as you describe, and used dealer service, they can approve a complete report of all work done to verify tensioner replacement. If the dealer says they can't what they mean is that they won't.

Tensioners should not be a deal killer. An independent shop can replace the secondary ones, the ones that fail, for about $750. Unless the owner can demonstrate that they have been changed they get to eat the $750. I replaced mine, without cover seals, for less than $150 including tool rental.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

If the figure you are quoting is the one I posted ages ago, it's now $800. I bumped it when I saw how much less I was charging than everybody else, and I'd wager that it's still alot less than most.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, just wanted verification on the adjustment. they sent me a copy of all work records. Stuff replaced POWER STEERING PUMP, FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS, HEAD GASKET , AC COMP., WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, BRAKE SENSOR, AND IT HAS BEEN SERVICED AT REQUIRED MILEAGE at a JAG DEALERSHIP... OIL CHANGED EVERY 3000 MILES.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sounds like a car you should be interested in. Full records are more rare than they should be. Sixty thousand miles is certainly OK for a '00 MY. With good maintenance/repair records biggest issues would be paint/leather condition. Except for the tensioners and top latch hoses.

The head gasket is a question. My car had the right gasket replaced before 20k miles, under warranty, two owners ago. That makes you wonder about overheating but my water pump/thermostat were replaced under warranty many thousands of miles later.