Sponsored by:

Stuck Again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Stuck Again!

Gentlemen,

Well I'm stuck again. I'm still trying to get to those darn tunnel hoses. There is a connector I'm not sure how to remove. Is there an easier way? Do I have the right tool? I'm trying to follow the JTIS but sometimes it just says "remove the connector" This has been a real learning process and not always a good one. Every hose I touch crumbles and I'm pretty sure some of the plastic connectors are made from recycled sweet tarts. The parts list grows and I'm not half way there. I'm up to 20 hours and no end in sight.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck Again!-pictures-2013-1626.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
Gentlemen,

Well I'm stuck again. I'm still trying to get to those darn tunnel hoses. There is a connector I'm not sure how to remove. Is there an easier way? Do I have the right tool? I'm trying to follow the JTIS but sometimes it just says "remove the connector" This has been a real learning process and not always a good one. Every hose I touch crumbles and I'm pretty sure some of the plastic connectors are made from recycled sweet tarts. The parts list grows and I'm not half way there. I'm up to 20 hours and no end in sight.
You do not need a tool for this one. Spray a little WD-40 or silicone on the connection. Then press the black flange at the throttle body IN toward the throttle body. While pressing the flange IN, pull the tube OUT.

The following users liked this post:
Fulton (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

wow, that was easy and it didn't even break. THANK YOU!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default 1/2 way

Thanks guys for all your help! I finally got it apart and I've never been so happy to find evidence of a leak in my life. Just have to order some more hoses and clips and she will going back together. I might even tackle the tensioners before spring. Yipee

Attached Thumbnails Stuck Again!-img_00000068.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Jeff,
You do superbly clear illustrative photos.
It has to go back together in a lot less than the 20 hours it took to strip it down!

Graham

Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
?.. I might even tackle the tensioners before spring. Yipee
Are you saying that you are doing all of this, but not doing the tensioners now, while you have it apart, and before you have a catastrophic tension/engine failure? Please do a search on tensioners in this forum before you really decide not to do them now.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

C'mon Fulton. I agree with Stevejacks.
You have done the hard part already. You can do it.
Tensioners are less than $200 and easy by comparison.
Plus your hands are already dirty and your knucles are a mess, what's a little bit more pain.

Don't stop now.

We will not forget!!!!!!!
When you come back and tell us your engine blew up.

Pm me if you want to borrow my tools for that job, i'd be happy to loan them to you.

Fulton (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobahn kid
Pm me if you want to borrow my tools for that job, i'd be happy to loan them to you.
Well Autobahn kid, since you live right near me I just might have to do mine and borrow your tools - if you would be so kind as to lend them to me

I DO need to do them one of these days - I have less than 30k miles on my car BUT I should still do them soon. Where abouts do you live anyways (I am in Boca) as we are planning a South Florida meetup on February 9th - there is a British car show at the Royal Palm Plaza on Federal near Palmetto and some of us are going to attend. We have a thread posted HERE. Let me know!

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

To be fair to Fulton what he is doing right now does not require even the removal of the cam covers, they are 2 completely different jobs, however saying that, whilst you are in the " I'm gonna fix it ethic" it would make sense but requires a lot more mucking about if you have not got the tools

plums (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

^^

what he said ...

they are two separate jobs having nothing to do with each other

finish one job and know that it was done properly and all is well before starting the other.

otherwise, if something goes wrong there are two jobs to check over to find the fault.

and nothing worse than dropping something down the intake port while working on something completely unrelated.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for your concern, I WILL do the tensioners before I take her out for the spring! I have time it's -22C (4 Stanfields) with another 6in of snow on the way today. I am going to finish the hoses and make sure I'm not throwing any codes before I take the cam covers off. Autobahn Kid, I will take you up on your generous offer and will pm you when I get to that point. As always I'm amazed at the help and support offered on this forum. Thanks Guys.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM

Fulton
I read your posts on my phone and did not realize you live next to the North Pole and the Cat and you will be in hibernation for a couple of months.
We are complaining about freezing here in south Florida, I can't even begin to imagine your weather.
Glad to help anytime, just give me a holler when you are ready for the tools.
You are right about the Forum. I would never have attempted the repair on the car had it not been for the encouragement and support of Forum members.
Those who work on cars for a living cannot even begin to understand the level of panic and anghst we shadetree mecanics go through at the thought of working on an engine. The elation at completing a job however, is worth all the effort.
Keep up the good work and let us know if you need any assistance.

Xkr and Plums are right. Finish what you have started, but don't be afraid of doing other work that you know is necessary. One job at a time.
The Gods of Olympus are wise beyond their age.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Thank you for the heads up on the meeting Blindside, I certainly would love to participate. Added to my calendar.
I am in Parkland just south of you on the West side.
Tools are available when you need them, also a helping handif you want assistance.

Pm your contact info.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Default another question

I've ordered all hoses and bits I need to put her back together. However while removing the fuel injector wiring one of the clips went "bing" and flew into a parallel universe. I crawled around the garage for an hour or so and it's just gone. Anyone know where I can get one of these things. I called a number of parts suppliers and a Jaguar dealer and they all tell me they don't sell them separately. Any ideas?

Another Nor'easter is on it's way today, nothing but Blizzard warnings on the radio. Maybe I will walk over to Santa's house for a toddy, it's his off season.

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Take a look inside your wing/fender (either side) on the back of the side jaguar leaper is where you will find the wiring for the UK side repeater, it is the same kind of Bosch style connector and you can rob the clip

Fulton (01-22-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well after several false starts, two business trips and a couple boxes of parts. I finally got the Jag back together. It only took 3-4 hours to button her back up. Much better than tear down. I haven't fired her up yet but I hooked up the pressure tester and I believe I have all the leaks fixed. Yeah! Now where is that credit card, time to order tensioners!