XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Storage

Old 04-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summer Storage

Will be getting ready to store for the summer in hot humid climate (Florida).. Will be garaged but not climate controlled. Has anyone used Star Brite Nosguard SG Mildew Contol? These contain Chlorine Dioxide. Have used on boats for winter storage in cold climate. Does anyone know if the Chlorine Dioxide is bad for the interior in such close quarters?

Old 04-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have answers to your questions but I'm not much further north from you. My car will be my daily driver (except when the diesel F350 needs a run every week or so). In the mornings this summer I will be top-down wearing a broad brimmed hat with a chin strap so I don't lose it (Tilley Endurable). For the commute home I will probably be top-up with the AC cranked.

And I will be loving it!

I've done the convertible thing before in roadsters (Miata and S2000). I even had one competition prepped Miata with the AC deleted and used it as my daily driver for year.

Summer, Winter or in-between I love my convertibles!

Old 04-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Back when I did a lot of sailing a snowbird told me he used to leave pieces of deodorant soap such as Dial in the lockers and drawers to prevent mildew. I have used it myself and so have several others with good results.

From a chemical standpoint, chlorine dioxide seems a bit strong, but there must be information on the net about it's effects.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We used to sell a product called Autovaccine (not sure if it is still sold - $15) that is a chlorine dioxide product specifically sized for auto interiors. The car should be vacuumed and cleaned prior to use. The chemical is very effective in destroying all odor causing organisms and didn't harm any of the vehicles interiors, when used according to the instructions. We treated a Ferrari that the dealer could not get the mildew smell out of the car. The customer seemed very satisfied with the results. You may kill everything with this treatment, but high humidity and storage without sunlight is unfortunately the perfect incubator for more mold and mildew growth. Re-treating may be needed coming out of storage.

Be sure to run the A/C (as the directions outline), since the evaporator is usually a major source of the mold and mildew smell. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Redstar; 04-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (04-02-2017)