XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tensioner replacement nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Tensioner replacement nightmare

Noise in my engine has been getting louder and I had no time to fix, so I bought this kit off ebay. The I proceed to take it to World Class Auto in Birmingham, Al.
They tell me 4.25 hours labor, so I agree and drop off my car at 8:30a next monday, I was supposed to be there at 7:30. So they called me at 10:30 and say that the serpentine belt I gave them would not fit(also asked them to replace WP and belt, so I told them no problem just do not do the WP and belt. I called at 4p to make sure the car was ready and they said because I brought the car in so late, they could not get it out today. I was ok, even though I was only an hour late.
Called the next day at noon and was told the mechanic was finishing up my car and should be ready soon, but he had to fix the pigtail on the passenger side VVT sensor (one wire would slide out when connecting, I just pushed the wire back on), I called back at 2:30 and was told 1 valve cover was leaking and mechanic was investigating, at 4p I was told mechanic was still looking at it and that they would need the car overnight (was EXTREMELY unhappy).
Next day at 1p, they still had not called me ( as promised) I called them and found out that they decided the gaskets I gave them were junk and went and bought ones from Jag, but to top it off, they bought new cam, valve and SP gaskets also and charged me 3.25 hours to put the gaskets on. Now it only took 4.25 to do tensioners, now I had both my valve covers off before and it took me at most an hour to get both off and back on w/new gaskets.

Moral of this story, I have been to 3 shops in Birmingham and would not trust any with a car again, but World class(less) Auto not only ripped me off, but told me it was my fault.

PS: Forgot to mention, I had oil on my fenders and brand new drivers seat cover (installed 2 weeks prior).

Since I live in Florida and I was not going to keep spending $50 a day for a rental, I paid the bill and am now doing all I can to ruin this company.

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

So if it only took you an hour to pull the vovers off, why didn't you change the tensioers at the same time yourself!

You probably supplied them with the cheapest parts money can buy. Do not forget that the shop had to spent time sourcing the parts as well and that your car was occupying valuable space in the workshop too.