XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anyone who has the PIE AI-net Aux input, willing to do a HUGE favor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is there anyone who has the PIE AI-net Aux input, willing to do a HUGE favor?

I admit this is a monsterous favor to ask.

I recently decided to take the plunge on the Motorola T605 with the PIE AI-net switcher combo for my car.

I bought the T605 from Ebay for $45 or so, and it all looks good. I couldn't find the PIE switcher on ebay, but decided to hunt around to find one as cheap as possible, and it looks like that decision bit me.

I found them listed on Amazon.com ($59 for a new one) and there was a "used" one listed for $40. being cheap I bought the $40 one rather than the $54 one from http://www.myradiostore.com/auxadapt...lp-ai-aux.html .

When the PIE device showed I could see the plastic case had been completely flattened and glued / taped back together. The invoice from the seller says "plastic broken oncover, but product works perfectly." I thought maybe that meant a mounting tab was bbroken, not the entire case had been demolished , and glued back together.

Naturally I was a bit concerned about the electronics inside. So I popped the case apart to look at the circuit board. Two of the capacitors are damaged, and there is another spot where I can see something was ripped right from it's solder pads. Maybe it does work, I haven't tried it. But I think those components were there for a reason, and I have my doubts about it working exactly like it should with them out of the game.

I have sent a message to the seller about returning it, but IF I get stuck with it I would like to fix it.

Which leads me to my question. Anyone with this same PIE switch willing to pop the case off of theirs to tell me what the missing component might be?

My other thought would be for me to buy a new one, open it up to find out what I need to fix this one, then resell one of them.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I think you should raise hell and demand your money back. Gripe to Amazon. Send them pics of the broken components. Don't let this dude get away with selling you something under false pretenses.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Don't fix it. And don't admit to opening it up.

In addtion to complaining to the seller, do not forget that Amazon exercises strict control over their sellers. You can contact Amazon customer service.

The seller will be forced to rectify the situation, usually by refund. Read the terms and conditions.

If the seller does not cooperate with Amazon, they lose their seller status. That is something they do not want to lose.

The $14 difference would have saved you a lot in the long run.

BTW, click below for the 45 day return policy.

http://www.myradiostore.com/static/policies.html#sp01

Last edited by plums; 03-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I think you should raise hell and demand your money back. Gripe to Amazon. Send them pics of the broken components. Don't let this dude get away with selling you something under false pretenses.
Exactly, because then he'll feel free to do it to others.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, here is what happened. I did raise hell, and what we agreed to was a partial refund. So the smashed one only cost me 1/2 the price of a new one.

I also ordered a new PIE interface from myradiostore.com. My plan was to take a peek inside the new one, and see what the missing part was to repair the first one.

The new one arrived tonight, and when I popped the case open, the same part seems to be missing! Apparently it was never suppose to be there to begin with.

And the capacitor that was smashed flat? it doesn't seem to lead anywhere. It on a trace that leads to an unused wire attachment.

So I think there is a good chance that it does function properly. I am going to try them both out, to make sure they both behave the same way. Then I guess I will have a spare, or I could resell one of them...