Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A though on new threads vs. Attaching to old ones

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default A though on new threads vs. Attaching to old ones

I just realized how hard it is to search for a thread that was started way in the past, has numerous replies, but recently someone posted good info to it. Some have called this hijacking a thread.

I tried to search for a thread like this to give someone a hand with his window problem.

Since I don't know who started the thread or when they did, I tried an advanced search. I recall the thread was at least 2 pages long, someone recently posted a great photo to it. I posted a compliment.

it looks like "dates" in search refer to the date the thread was created not the date(s) I posted comments. I was faced with 30+ pages of possibilities to find this one even with key words.

this is the first time this happened to me. If I'm doing the search right, and moderators support me, I wanted to point this out as a drawback to adding new questions or topics to old threads instead of just starting a new one in case you never thought about it.

I welcome any criticism or corrections but it was frustrating not to be able to easily search and find a thread that was started way in the past by someone else, has great info recently added on a similar topic that really could have stood on its own, that I commented on within the last week or so.

if I need remedial education on advanced search, let me know, otherwise I hope this real life finding helps us all.

John

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 339 Posts

There was no need to search for the thread if you posted on it recently - just go to your own post history to find it. There is a pull down menu by your username with "my posts" or you can find it in statistics in your profile.

Johnken (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
I just realized how hard it is to search for a thread that was started way in the past, has numerous replies, but recently someone posted good info to it. Some have called this hijacking a thread. ..... if I need remedial education on advanced search, let me know, otherwise I hope this real life finding helps us all.
John,

Hijacking is diverting a thread from it's original topic. Adding additional relevant detail is usefully continuing the discussion and such threads often go on to become FAQ's.

The forum search is only as good as the thread titles. Success depends on accurate topic/subject and accurate spelling.

When I can recall the forum User Name of the member who made the post I'm trying to find, I search their threads/posts. More often than not, I use Google jaguarforums + topic and find it a lot faster because Google will search content and disregard typos.

Graham

Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you Graham. I suppose I thought the search offered the choice of searching the thread title or [as implied on the search menu] the all text of any and all posts (IOW any text within a string of posts) associated with any specific thread.

if you as moderator are not supportive of my point, I respect that and would endorse you deleting this string since my suggestion contradicts your goal that folks should continue to append threads about topics that were started in the past.

No bad feelings, I was just surprised how hard it was to find a photo recently added to a multi page post started long ago.

I will certainly try the Google search you suggested, but I'm not going to scroll though pages and pages of topic additions to find a recent post.

John

Old 09-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Dibbit, thank you. It worked and I was able to post a photo to help someone with the window problem.

John

Old 09-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Using Titles in Replies

Originally Posted by GGG
...The forum search is only as good as the thread titles. Success depends on accurate topic/subject and accurate spelling.
In my long working thread I try to add a relevant title to my "replies to myself" so that they will show up on searches using the most likely keywords. I figure it helps others avoid having to read through pages of stuff to get to what they want.

I don't think many replies end up with their own titles but it does work well if leveraged.

Johnken (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

John,

No problem with appending relevant threads. A topic can naturally lead to expansion or inclusion of associated discussion. My reply was not intended to discourage that and most certainly not to refute your point.

The forum search will never be an accurate tool unless posting is made more rigidly structured in terms of the use of allowed thread titles and key words. To impose this type of input rules would undoubtedly improve search efficiency but (I believe) it would detract from the usefulness which results from the current flexibility.

Graham