XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I'd broke it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Thought I'd broke it!

The old girls coming together ,I've only been doing a bit here , a bit there, rebuilding the engine after a full timing chain chain/tensioner change. Just got it to a position to try a start this morning. Good news is she started first time, bad news is she was as lumpy as school dinner gravy. Now I gave it the once over, the drivers side had the coil and engine cover on because I expected issues with the other side, I broke off a tab on one of the coil connectors. I pulled the one I thought it may be and she stalled. Then she wouldn't start so out with the code reader. P0103 with P1336 pending was read off. P0103 was to do with the MAF. So I pulled the connector checked it, sprayed with contact cleaner, no change. Then I thought is there an issue with the fuel pump/relay as I'd pulled it to get some oil pressure before starting. I reseated it but nothing. Then I thought maybe I'd blown a fuse, something t do with the MAF? That was fuse 12 in the engine bay but it was fine. Then I had a general look round but couldnt see anything so I was beginning to think I'd damaged the MAF while it was kicking around in the garage. I left it and did some shopping on the wifes orders. When I came back it was dark but I gave her another go. She started but was still lumpy, got out and noticed water vapour from the passenger side tail pipe and nothing from the drivers side which I thought was odd. So I pulled the engine cover off the drivers side bank and straight away saw I'd left the injector connectors off! DUH! Clipped them back on and straight away she picked up and was smooth as anything. Could have kicked myself for putting the engine cover back but it just goes to show that its easy to miss things like that, but what is puzzling me is what had that got to do with the MAF fault? At least I can sleep now, just need to get the front bumper painted and put that back then shes good to go

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

LOL We all goof sometimes.
Good to hear it's all come together and a non-trivial job crossed off the list.

Mike

Old 11-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Good story. I love happy endings!!!

bob

Old 11-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good deal. Glad you got it going. I'm going thru mine a little at a time but I know it's going to be nice when I'm done