Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!Tilt!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default !!Tilt!!

Before I go ripping through the thousands of pages of archives, I thought I would throw this out there. My steering wheel has suddenly stopped returning to the neutral position, after the car is parked. I can manually move it and return it to it's position, but damn if this car hasn't spoiled me to the point where I can no longer function, if it doesn't do it's own thing.

If this has anything to do with it, the windows don't drop and return now either. Once I have set them with the switch, they will work for 3 or 4 times, before I need to reset them again........Damn, I'm Lazy.......Thanks.........Mike

Old 11-25-2015, 06:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Windows losing their limit switch setting is usually an early sign of a battery on the way out.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mike,

I've heard of countless examples of the wheel not telescoping out, or not tilting down but this might be the first one where the wheel doesn't retract and tilt up when you remove the key and the auto switch is on.

I'm with Graham about the battery, perhaps this is a new manifestation of low battery, congratulations .

If not let's think what else it could be.

When you say manually move it, I assume you mean push it in - that's dangerous I dont want you to strip the plastic drive cable for this. Can you hear the motor running and clicking when you turn her off and take out the key? (hope not that's a sign of stripped) But then you describe this as a swinging problem so I'll assume the drive is not stripped.

I've already found out that motion (up down in out) via the switch on the steering wheel involves different components and/or circuits than that same motion via the memory buttons on the door. (FYI, my steering wheel switch rarely is able to provide movement, but the door memory buttons always work 100%). I'm pointing this out because you think they are more closely intertwined than they are.

With that background, let's think of your situation. Doesn't auto retract. (I'm betting more and more on the battery as I think about this)

1) As mentioned earlier, this action begins when you remove the key - any chance the little key flap is stuck "in" causing this? Gosh that would cause battery drain too.

2) The entire retract circuit is switched on the steering wheel. This is unlikely but could the switch be defective? On/Off would be easy enough to check, you can remove the switch pretty easily. Torx #10 as I recall to unscrew the two bolts bottom left and bottom right of the cowl under the dash board. Unplug the Valet switch very carefully it has come apart for many of us many times. If it does- no worry, you can press it together. Unplug the sensor in the upper right of the cowl (this action will cause your climate to beep a couple of times after reassembly and first ignition - just ignore it).
Then as I recall the steering wheel under cowl is 2 phillips head screws.

That gives you easy access to the switch and the connector to check continuity.

This should give you a good start. Let us know how you do.

John

mrplow58 (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe occam's razor

You didn't happen to turn the adjustment control knob off auto ???

mrplow58 (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Retard of the year goes to.......ME!!!!

Originally Posted by GGG
Windows losing their limit switch setting is usually an early sign of a battery on the way out.

Graham
I was afraid you would say that, about the windows. I walked down to my buddy's tow yard, and "FOUND" a battery, from a 2015 Lincoln. It was hammered so hard, I doubt they will miss the battery. In case they did, I put my old battery in the hulk. I figure it's only stealing if there is something tangible lost. They had to cut whoever was driving out, and peeled back the roof to do it.

The big prize goes to me, for the steering column.

Thanks jamdmyers, and Johnken......Evidently when my wife and son parked my car, the week before last, when I went into the mental hospital for my 5 year tune-up and detox,(4 days sweating, throwing up, freezing, 4 days getting new meds) someone must have accidently turned that switch.

After hours of checking circuits, and fuses....Mr. Big Time, stainless steel big *****, don't tell me what to do, bow before me peons, blow it out your ***, VW Porsche Audi Master Tech followed your advice, and turned the switch back to the correct position........Thanks to all of you.........Mike