XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top down at the intersection

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top down at the intersection

I cannot be the only one that turns into a nervous wreck when I pull up to an intersection where there are panhandlers, window washers, etc.

Driving in Houston, we seem to have an overload of panhandlers/window washers now that the weather is nice again and I have been running stale orange lights (when I can) to make sure I am not stopped at the intersection with the top down. Just on this morning's ride to work, 4 out of 10 intersections had someone on the corner. And riding with the top closed defeats the purpose of having a convertible to begin with.

I'm not sure if you guys are even concerned, but what about your wives that drive these convertibles? How are any of you handling this?

It's pretty much taken the joy out of riding with the top down for me and now I'm going to go ahead and put her up for sale. I still love my Jag, but I think I'm going to look for a coupe.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Dude... you're in Texas. Get a concealed carry permit. That deep pocket in the driver's door is perfect for holding a Glock, Sig, S&W... It's almost like the Brits designed it for that. Just put the gun in with the butt facing forward so that you can easily reach across with your right hand to pull it out.

When I'm looking at new cars I'm always looking for a place to keep my Sig Sauer where it's mostly concealed but readily available. And yes, I do have my concealed carry permit.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Hadn't thought about butt forward, fits well the other way. Good idea, I'll try that at lunch.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

IMO, convertibles are very overrated. I like my privacy when I drive.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi-Power fits nicely under the floor mat too......................
Brian

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

its sad that we have to worry about panhandlers affecting the enjoyment of the open top. Dallas was really bad until they changed an ordinance, now its much less of a problem. Don't make eye contact...ever. If they approach, say 'sorry, can't help ya' and ask them to move away. I know, easy to say.

I stick my beretta between the center console and my passenger seat cushion, handle up so its easily viewable. No issues ever.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Dude? I'm a girl!
And I am CHL'd, but the idea is 1) not be put in a position to use it and 2) you CANNOT brandish (i.e. put it on the dash as soon as someone approaches, which I would love to do). As it is, I drive with one hand in my purse, ready to pull anytime I'm in slow-moving, heavy traffic. (always prepared for "the bump" and then the carjack).

And yes, h20boy, it's easier to say that when you're a guy; they listen and move away. When you're a girl, they just stand there and stare at you anyway, even though your eyes are locked straight ahead (my experience) or you can hear comments, I can always pick out "Jag" amongst the rambling. Extremely, extremely uncomfortable!

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but there is a physical heart-pounding that comes everytime I drive the car with the top down. Houston does have a panhandling ordinance but it is really only enforced downtown, so anywhere else you drive........

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

About the only thing I've found you can do is leave lots of space between you and the car in front of you. That way once they approach, you just creep forward and past them. Normally, they get the hint. (Of course, I ain't a chick driving around in a convertible Jaguar. I assume that changes the playing field. Good for you!)

On the bright side, down in Houston, it's about to get too hot to drive around with the top down. November is coming; it will cool down soon!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

I can't believe people are actually suggesting purchasing a firearm as a solution to feeling less nervous about panhandlers. I have nothing against guns, but I just don't think I'd feel any less nervous with a gun next to me (not that I'd feel that nervous to begin with), especially if I couldn't brandish it.

I think the best suggestion is what ken@britishparts.com said. And don't make eye contact!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM

I guess I should not have said I'm a girl (probably past that "girl" stage now, since I'm 50).

There is no such thing as too hot to drive with the top down . I am still a bit of a sun-bunny, so driving with the top down to catch those rays (yes, even at 104 degrees all last summer) is what I bought the car for. (I'm always cold, and almost never sweat, so warmer temperatures are not an issue - the warmer, the better.) (I drove to my Dad's last fall: 68 degrees for 3 hours with the top down, wearing a jacket and the heater going full blast. I was still a popsicle when I got there.) So I might be inclined to keep the top closed in cool weather with no sun, but never when warm (or hot) and certainly not when sunny.)

When the top is closed I always feel like it should be open. It just feels wrong to have a convertible and then not drive with the top down, when the car has the option. Not to mention that's what's so sexy about the car (IMHO).....

But as I said, if I'm not comfortable driving it, then it's time to give her up.

Last edited by xsvjag; 05-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm surprised at the number of gun carrying drivers among this crowd. I wouldn't have put the two together!

I'm on my way to Dallas next week; I'll be careful at intersections since apparently most everyone is armed!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

What kind of country are you guys living in, for God's sake !

Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Be sure to honk if you see me Scott!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

That little door on the left side of the steering wheel...you know for sunglasses. My Ruger LCP fits perfectly in there. And Yes I have a permit to carry, but no one ever sees it.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Whoops! Didn't know you were a chick! You have one of those ambiguous names, like "Pat" or "Terry". Sorry...

I'm glad you have your permit. It's the same here in NC, you're not allowed to brandish a weapon. But I don't want to brandish, and I'm not suggesting that you do. As far as I'm concerned a bad guy will never see my Sig until about a quarter second before he catches a bullet. But once I'm certain my life is in danger I'll have no sympathy for the ******* who is threatening me. I don't typically feel intimidated by the panhandlers, and we do have them here. Of course, I'm 6"4', 210 pounds and I almost always have my Sig within arm's reach. And there have been a few situations where I did feel uncomfortable stopping with the top down. But the joy of driving a convertible definitely outweighs the fear.

By the way... I usually give the panhandlers money. I know people say that it's a scam and those guys make hundreds of dollars per day, but I most definitely have it better than those guys, and if they are desperate enough to beg for money, I'd be an *** not to share it with them.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I can't believe people are actually suggesting purchasing a firearm as a solution to feeling less nervous about panhandlers. I have nothing against guns, but I just don't think I'd feel any less nervous with a gun next to me (not that I'd feel that nervous to begin with), especially if I couldn't brandish it.

I think the best suggestion is what ken@britishparts.com said. And don't make eye contact!

Speaking for myself, I don't keep a gun in every car that I own due to Panhandlers, it's the truly bad people that mandated that decision. Unfortunately, people get murdered every day, and sometimes, just being in the wrong place is all that it takes. I don't worry much about violent confrontations, but to me, it's prudent to be at least somewhat prepared for the less pleasant aspects of human nature. Unfortunately, not all of us are nice people...............
Brian

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

An armed society is a polite society. Contrary to what many gun control activists want you to believe, the people who carry firearms are not crazy, trigger-happy, cowboys. I feel very comfortable knowing that I have the means to protect myself and my family from armed thugs. Unarmed citizens are simply at the mercy of those who don't have any respect for life. And I don't think the OP was saying she is nervous about panhandlers, she's nervous about the people who don't stop at just panhandling. The ones who try to intimidate you into giving them money.

And as far as not looking them in the eye, that just SCREAMS weakness. These *******s don't prey on the strong, they prey on the weak. And when you avoid looking them in the eye you're just telling them that you're weak and afraid. You should do the opposite. Don't stare them down and **** them off, but don't be afraid to look at them either. At least then they won't think that your a timid dweeb who can be easily f*cked with.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Not looking at them in the eye is a way to ignore them. If you are acknowledging their presence, then you are legitimizing them.

I said I have nothing against guns, but in my opinion, I don't think flashing your gun (storing it within plain view next to your leg with the intent to intimidate) at a panhandler is prudent. Save that for when an actual armed thug comes after you. Not a (potentially) wounded Vietnam vet who is trying to get some spare change.

But back on topic, it seems kind of silly that you're letting a few panhandlers ruin your experience. Why not just roll the windows up at intersections? You should be venturing out on the twisty roads of a sun-parched highway to fall in love with the car again!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

This is an interesting discussion and I know exactly what the OP means even though I am a guy. Here in Los Angeles there are certain freeway offramps where the panhandlers lurk--also certain street intersections. Regardless of what I am driving, I always get an uncomfortable feeling when I happen to be stopped in the "line of fire" so to speak. Basically, I have just gotten in the habit of looking the other way but I can certainly see how much more awkward it would be if I were in the Jaguar with the top down.

Doug

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

It must be true about us Canadians. Even our panhandlers are polite up here. In my experience, they never get abusive, or theatening, and thank whoever hands them some change. I think the convertable was made to drive down country roads on a Sunday afternoon, not from red light to red light in heavy traffic. As far as guns go, we rarely have armed carjackers, and I only cary when I am hunting.
Alfred

Quick Reply: Top down at the intersection