XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up paint? OK, I did a dumb

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Touch up paint? OK, I did a dumb

thing yesterday. I had parked my Jag, and was blocked when I went to back out. I went forward to try to maneuver, and hit a curb, which was much higher than I realized that it was.

It put scratches in the area under the grill, some fairly bad, but did not crack or damage the area other than the scratches.

I could go to a body shop and pay them $500+ to fix it, or, since it is an area which is not really seen very closely, unless you would lie down and look up at it, I could probably put some touch up paint on it, then compound it out to the point where you would not even notice it.

Do the Jaguar dealers have such paint? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had mine repainted several months ago but was looking at doing it myself. I have a friend that does painting and body work and suggested that if the scratches were not deep to lightly sand it and apply clear coat and it would look as good as new. I have the compressor and spray guns to do it but just had it done for me. Now you can go to an auto paint store and get what you need. If you are unsure where one is go to the local auto parts store or body shop and they can help you find one. Keep in mind not all auto paints are the same and they can mix or give you the paint in quantities of pints and quarts.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink Touch-up paint

I just bought a paint kit that Jaguar sells that consists of two "pensils" which are really just the standard little metal bottles with a built in brush inside. The "kit" consisted of one colour and one clear-coat in a cute little cardboard box with a leaping Jaguar on it. I guess that's what was worth the extra money. Price was $25 CDN. I got it for stone chips. Works OK

Regards
RJAG

Last edited by RJag; 10-22-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling/typo
Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Kevin, if you look inside of your door jam, you should see a build sticker there. If you look down near the bottom, you should see some typing with the characters "EXT CLR" or something along those lines (EXT PAINT, E CLR, etc). You should see either a 2, 3, or 4 character code there under the above writing. If you take that code to any auto parts store, they will be able to point you to the correct touch up paint to do what you are after. It will be a 0.5 ounce bottle with a built in paint brush. It has the clear built into it. Fill in the scratches and let dry before driving.

Option #2 (assuming you have a spray gun of some sort), you can go to an automotive paint store and give them the code. From there, they can mix you up anything from a half pint can up to gallons of that color paint. From there, you sand out the scratches, apply a new color layer and then clear. A bit more involved, but with a little bit of work, you can make it look like the incident never happened.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If the paint is not damaged all you will need is the clear coat. It will blend in just fine! Now if you sand down to the plastic you should get primer for the bumper (it is not the same as the primer for the rest of the car) and be sure you apply it on a clean surface.