Sponsored by:

Traction?Stability Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 AM
jjf
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Traction?Stability Control Failure

Hi, I have a 1998 XK8 convt.

I took it out this weekend, after not driving it for a couple weeks. I had two orange warning lights on dash "Stability Control Failure" and "Traction Control Failure". I haven't taken it to mechanic yet , and it seems to drive the same.

Can someone please tell me what this might mean, and is it going to be expensive to repair.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had the same problem with my '99 XK8 coupe. There are two weak solder joints in the ABS module that can be repaired fairly easily.
Do an "ABS" search of this forum and you will find lots of information about it.
There are several companies that will rebuild/repair the module, too. Again, do a search of this forum to find out more.
Good luck.
Jim

The following users liked this post:
jjf (07-12-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

QUOTE: 'I took it out this weekend, after not driving it for a couple weeks. I had two orange warning lights on dash "Stability Control Failure" and "Traction Control Failure". I haven't taken it to mechanic yet , and it seems to drive the same.' END QUOTE.

This is typical behavior for these vehicles if they sit for even a few days without being driven. The vehicle's electronics are highly sensitive to voltage drop, and having sat for a couple of weeks is more than enough time for the voltage to dip to the point that the Control Modules start kicking out 'errant error messages' that are transient and do not log an actual fault code. The errors 'DSC', 'Traction Control' and 'ABS', are the most common alert messages, and a dead giveaway of a low battery is when the windows loose their 'Travel Limit Memory' and begin dropping a few inches with every handle pull. These alerts will disappear on their own after a restart, once the vehicle has been driven long enough to sufficiently charge the battery. Someone should be along with specific information on a suitable battery tender commonly used by owners of these vehicles.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 07-13-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM
jjf

you're right, the battery was dead so I put a trickle charger on. I've driven it a couple times since, and the warning lights are still on. I'm wondering if I should try a "hard reset". If I remember correctly, that is disconnecting battery and touching cables together?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jjf
you're right, the battery was dead so I put a trickle charger on. I've driven it a couple times since, and the warning lights are still on. I'm wondering if I should try a "hard reset". If I remember correctly, that is disconnecting battery and touching cables together?

Thanks

One other possibility I can think of. The traction control is part of the ABS system which monitors wheel spin. It is possible that you have a dirty or bad wheel speed sensor. Get it on a lift or at least some jack stands where you can get at the wheel speed sensors and give them a cleaning.

If it doesn't work you're only out some time instead of both time AND money.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

A hard reset requires just disconnecting the negative cable and touching it to the positive post for a few seconds. No, the car will not melt.

You then need to reset the windows. Open and hold until you hear a click, close and click, then open and click again.

The engine will rev to over 2000 but will then calm down. The transmission may shift a little rough at first. If you have programmed radio stations they need to be reset also.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR

This is typical behavior for these vehicles if they sit for even a few days without being driven.
This isn't typical for a few days, While prolonged sitting may well draw the battery down (depending on security mode how long) I at times don't drive mine for a week to 2 at a time. It has a 4 yrs battery and I have no issue, I don't use a tender either (car does sit in a garage). I have performed regular maintenance.

The reason I posted this was these type of comments (in or our of context) may put off people who read here before deciding to buy. There are certainly issues to be known, but I believe most people can let thier cars sit a week or two without issue.

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM
jjf

It was probably sitting in the garage more than a couple weeks, but it is fairly new Bosch battery and it was drained. These cars are definitely voltage sensitive and require strong battery.

I did hard reset on battery and still have warning message. Im surprised this isn't related to the dead battery.

Next I will try and find the wheel speed sensor and clean.

Is there a way to "reset" and remove the ABS warnings on the dash?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

ABS warnings and codes usually reset after driving the car. If you find a shop that can read the C codes you will save a lot of time.

A battery can be ruined by a complete drain, even a new one, so it it would be a good idea to start using a maintainer or disconnect the battery if you are going to park the car for more than a week.

Checking the electrical system for parasitic drain might be worthwhile. Something as simple as having the little flap in the ignition switch stick open can quickly drain a battery.