XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Flush or Transmission "Service"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Transmission Flush or Transmission "Service"?

Good morning all;

As winter begins to set in here in Wisconsin I'm doing the only sensible thing - collating my list of things to do to my '00 XK8 next Spring. I've just had the timing chains, tensioners, guides, water pump, serp belt, all spark plugs and one dying ignition coil replaced - so now, reviewing the replies to my introduction post it seems the next thing to do is a transmission flush.

Thing is, the shop that did all of this work actually advised against a full transmission flush; and instead said that they would simply perform what they referred to as a "transmission service". I asked what that was specifically - but as the shop's "cat whisperer" service writer was out she didn't have the answer. The only thing she could say was "we would do whatever Jaguar recommends for the model, age and mileage of the vehicle". When pressed, her point was that flushing the transmission completely may introduce new problems where none existed before - but that the "transmission service" is a more appropriate (less invasive) option. The car has ~64,800 miles and I presume its transmission hasn't had anything maintenance-related done to it by its prior owners.

Thoughts?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

The 'service' usually includes draining the gearbox, removing the sump and replacing the filter. The torque converter and cooler are usually not included in this type of service and thus still contain the old fluid.

Depending on the gearbox, the Ford sourced 5R55N or the ZF 5HP24, the procedure is different as is the fluid.

Use the search function of this forum to see other threads that discuss the best approach to servicing the gearbox.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I am no mechanic (and didn't play one on radio(remember those?) but I had my '04's transmission fluid, pan and filter replaced when I bought it(03/2017). I had the "squawk" and the work eliminated it. Shift seems smoother but that might be just my imagination. The warning against "flushing" I seem to remember was related. To just draining the pan and pumping new fluid. It might. Stir up particals that would move and clog the filter. Since the whole. Pan and filter is replaced I think the warning in appropriate to the XK8. I did mine at 61000mi. However, I am an engineer(love trains<g> so I tend to be trying to anticipate problems and try to eliminate them before it occurs.
I am changing the oil/filter, coolant and brake fluid each year.
In a word, change it if you don't know if it not been done in the past 50-60,000 miles.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry for sloppy typing. I meant inappropriate to the XK8.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I also prefer to do ATF drain-and-fills in all of our vehicles as opposed to ATF flushing. Dragging long-settled debris up through the valve bodies during flushing is my primary concern with that approach. No risk of this occurring in a drain-and-fill. Works for me....

Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Definitely the drain, change filter and refill, not the flush. Also consider having them replace the pressure valve with either the ZF upgrade or the trans-go replacement. It only takes about an hour with the pan already off. Then go back for a drain and fill a couple of times to increase the percentage of clean fluid. Your transmission is a 5HP24 and is at risk to A drum failure.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...%20ZF5HP24.pdf